Dec 10, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
After Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to the Nashville Predators, Henrik Lundqvist told reporters that it’s the worst stretch he’s endured – individually and for the team – since he landed with the New York Rangers in 2005-06.
He did provide The Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross with some optimism, too, though … kind of.
“The only thing I know right now is it can only go up,” Lundqvist said.
Ah yes, the glass-can’t-get-any-less-full approach.
In other grim news, Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault mentioned after the game that the squad lacks the personnel required to make his offensive-minded gameplan work. That comment must leave GM Glen Sather bristling, as John Tortorella also implied that the team lacked the needed firepower to get over the hump after the Washington Capitals bumped them out of the 2011 playoffs.
Losing versatile captain Ryan Callahan for four-to-six weeks probably won’t help the Rangers personnel-wise, either, so times are tough for New York.
The Rangers have dropped the first three games of a nine-game homestand, so the question is whether this series of contests at Madison Square Garden might be a curse in disguise. Then again, if you ask Lundqvist, it can’t get much worse.
At least that’s what the Rangers hope.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 43
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 66
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)