Dec 10, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
After Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to the Nashville Predators, Henrik Lundqvist told reporters that it’s the worst stretch he’s endured – individually and for the team – since he landed with the New York Rangers in 2005-06.
He did provide The Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross with some optimism, too, though … kind of.
“The only thing I know right now is it can only go up,” Lundqvist said.
Ah yes, the glass-can’t-get-any-less-full approach.
In other grim news, Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault mentioned after the game that the squad lacks the personnel required to make his offensive-minded gameplan work. That comment must leave GM Glen Sather bristling, as John Tortorella also implied that the team lacked the needed firepower to get over the hump after the Washington Capitals bumped them out of the 2011 playoffs.
Losing versatile captain Ryan Callahan for four-to-six weeks probably won’t help the Rangers personnel-wise, either, so times are tough for New York.
The Rangers have dropped the first three games of a nine-game homestand, so the question is whether this series of contests at Madison Square Garden might be a curse in disguise. Then again, if you ask Lundqvist, it can’t get much worse.
At least that’s what the Rangers hope.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)