Dec 10, 2013, 12:14 PM EDT
Phaneuf ran Miller into the boards late in the third period, with no penalty assessed on the play.
“While Miller is playing the puck with his left skate and his back to the play, Phaneuf hits him with significant force, driving Miller face-first into the boards,” NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan explained. “[Miller] was never eligible to be hit like this.”
Shanahan does note, however, that a slash to Miller’s leg just prior to the hit caused the Boston forward to buckle, which “contributed” to the severity of the check.
Phaneuf has a clean disciplinary record and was suspended following a telephone hearing with the league’s Department of Player Safety earlier this morning.
The suspension will keep Phaneuf out of Toronto’s next two contests — Wednesday vs. Los Angeles, Thursday at St. Louis — and he’ll be eligible to return on Saturday for a home date at the ACC against the defending Cup champion Blackhawks.
It’s worth noting that Toronto has been one of the most-suspended teams this season. Five different players have now received supplemental discipline from the league — Phaneuf (two games), Nazem Kadri (goalie interference, three games), Carter Ashton (boarding, two games), Phil Kessel (slashing, three games) and David Clarkson (leaving bench to fight, 10 games).
Phaneuf will also forfeit $66,666.66 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (107)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)