Dec 10, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Tonight promises to be an emotional affair at the Scotiabank Saddledome.
For the first time, Jarome Iginla will play a NHL game in Calgary wearing something other than Flames colors when Boston visits the Saddledome on Tuesday.
The franchise legend — Iginla is the club’s all time leader in games played, goals and points — has been trying to keep his emotions in check, but acknowledged that might prove difficult once he’s actually out on the ice.
“I’m trying to prepare myself,” Iginla said, as per Yahoo. “I don’t plan on being extremely emotional, but I don’t know. I really want to try and take it as it comes. I had great experiences. I loved playing here.”
Traded from Calgary to Pittsburgh at last season’s deadline, Iginla signed a one-year, $6 million tender with Boston in July and has had a solid-if-unspectacular start to the year. While he only has six goals in 30 games, Iginla does have 11 assists and 17 points, and is averaging 18:25 TOI per game.
So, a good year — but one that promises to get better tonight.
“I’m going to enjoy playing here and being back in the Saddledome,” Iginla said. “Hopefully it’s a warm reception and I know it’ll be special for myself.
“I imagine it’s going to be a little bit different at the start, but it will be cool.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)