Dec 10, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Tonight promises to be an emotional affair at the Scotiabank Saddledome.
For the first time, Jarome Iginla will play a NHL game in Calgary wearing something other than Flames colors when Boston visits the Saddledome on Tuesday.
The franchise legend — Iginla is the club’s all time leader in games played, goals and points — has been trying to keep his emotions in check, but acknowledged that might prove difficult once he’s actually out on the ice.
“I’m trying to prepare myself,” Iginla said, as per Yahoo. “I don’t plan on being extremely emotional, but I don’t know. I really want to try and take it as it comes. I had great experiences. I loved playing here.”
Traded from Calgary to Pittsburgh at last season’s deadline, Iginla signed a one-year, $6 million tender with Boston in July and has had a solid-if-unspectacular start to the year. While he only has six goals in 30 games, Iginla does have 11 assists and 17 points, and is averaging 18:25 TOI per game.
So, a good year — but one that promises to get better tonight.
“I’m going to enjoy playing here and being back in the Saddledome,” Iginla said. “Hopefully it’s a warm reception and I know it’ll be special for myself.
“I imagine it’s going to be a little bit different at the start, but it will be cool.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)