Dec 10, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Tonight promises to be an emotional affair at the Scotiabank Saddledome.
For the first time, Jarome Iginla will play a NHL game in Calgary wearing something other than Flames colors when Boston visits the Saddledome on Tuesday.
The franchise legend — Iginla is the club’s all time leader in games played, goals and points — has been trying to keep his emotions in check, but acknowledged that might prove difficult once he’s actually out on the ice.
“I’m trying to prepare myself,” Iginla said, as per Yahoo. “I don’t plan on being extremely emotional, but I don’t know. I really want to try and take it as it comes. I had great experiences. I loved playing here.”
Traded from Calgary to Pittsburgh at last season’s deadline, Iginla signed a one-year, $6 million tender with Boston in July and has had a solid-if-unspectacular start to the year. While he only has six goals in 30 games, Iginla does have 11 assists and 17 points, and is averaging 18:25 TOI per game.
So, a good year — but one that promises to get better tonight.
“I’m going to enjoy playing here and being back in the Saddledome,” Iginla said. “Hopefully it’s a warm reception and I know it’ll be special for myself.
“I imagine it’s going to be a little bit different at the start, but it will be cool.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)