Dec 10, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Tonight promises to be an emotional affair at the Scotiabank Saddledome.
For the first time, Jarome Iginla will play a NHL game in Calgary wearing something other than Flames colors when Boston visits the Saddledome on Tuesday.
The franchise legend — Iginla is the club’s all time leader in games played, goals and points — has been trying to keep his emotions in check, but acknowledged that might prove difficult once he’s actually out on the ice.
“I’m trying to prepare myself,” Iginla said, as per Yahoo. “I don’t plan on being extremely emotional, but I don’t know. I really want to try and take it as it comes. I had great experiences. I loved playing here.”
Traded from Calgary to Pittsburgh at last season’s deadline, Iginla signed a one-year, $6 million tender with Boston in July and has had a solid-if-unspectacular start to the year. While he only has six goals in 30 games, Iginla does have 11 assists and 17 points, and is averaging 18:25 TOI per game.
So, a good year — but one that promises to get better tonight.
“I’m going to enjoy playing here and being back in the Saddledome,” Iginla said. “Hopefully it’s a warm reception and I know it’ll be special for myself.
“I imagine it’s going to be a little bit different at the start, but it will be cool.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 4
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 53
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)