Dec 10, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Phoenix has recalled Gilbert Brule from its AHL affiliate in Portland, the club announced on Tuesday.
Brule, 26, has performed well for the Pirates in limited time this season, scoring 12 points in 11 games while ranking first on the team in power-play goals, with four.
Columbus’ first-round pick (sixth overall) at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Brule played 33 regular-season games for the Coyotes in 2011-12, scoring five goals with nine assists; however, Phoenix did not tender him a qualifying offer after the season, making him an unrestricted free agent.
Brule then signed with Zurich last summer, but was released after just 14 games with the Swiss club.
The Coyotes brought him back this fall for a training camp tryout, but Brule was also linked to KHL Metallurg for a time as it seemed his playing future was up in the air.
A former star with WHL Vancouver, Brule has struggled with personal issues including a now-defunct relationship with his father, who he accused of taking money from him and even “making suggestions there were some pictures on my computer that could be shown” — allegations his father denies.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)