Dec 10, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Phoenix has recalled Gilbert Brule from its AHL affiliate in Portland, the club announced on Tuesday.
Brule, 26, has performed well for the Pirates in limited time this season, scoring 12 points in 11 games while ranking first on the team in power-play goals, with four.
Columbus’ first-round pick (sixth overall) at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Brule played 33 regular-season games for the Coyotes in 2011-12, scoring five goals with nine assists; however, Phoenix did not tender him a qualifying offer after the season, making him an unrestricted free agent.
Brule then signed with Zurich last summer, but was released after just 14 games with the Swiss club.
The Coyotes brought him back this fall for a training camp tryout, but Brule was also linked to KHL Metallurg for a time as it seemed his playing future was up in the air.
A former star with WHL Vancouver, Brule has struggled with personal issues including a now-defunct relationship with his father, who he accused of taking money from him and even “making suggestions there were some pictures on my computer that could be shown” — allegations his father denies.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)