Dec 10, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Phoenix has recalled Gilbert Brule from its AHL affiliate in Portland, the club announced on Tuesday.
Brule, 26, has performed well for the Pirates in limited time this season, scoring 12 points in 11 games while ranking first on the team in power-play goals, with four.
Columbus’ first-round pick (sixth overall) at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Brule played 33 regular-season games for the Coyotes in 2011-12, scoring five goals with nine assists; however, Phoenix did not tender him a qualifying offer after the season, making him an unrestricted free agent.
Brule then signed with Zurich last summer, but was released after just 14 games with the Swiss club.
The Coyotes brought him back this fall for a training camp tryout, but Brule was also linked to KHL Metallurg for a time as it seemed his playing future was up in the air.
A former star with WHL Vancouver, Brule has struggled with personal issues including a now-defunct relationship with his father, who he accused of taking money from him and even “making suggestions there were some pictures on my computer that could be shown” — allegations his father denies.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)