Dec 10, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
The Vancouver Canucks are heating up in December, and to some extent, they can thank their goaltenders for this run.
Eddie Lack was the man on Monday, as he earned his first career shutout while the Canucks blanked the Carolina Hurricanes 2-0. The 25-year-old is now 4-2-0 with a .925 save percentage and 2.08 GAA in his first NHL season, generally making the most of the rare moments when Roberto Luongo gets rest. Lack stopped 31 shots tonight.
Christopher Tanev scored the game-winner while Jannik Hansen grabbed an empty-netter. Chris Higgins collected two assists, giving him five points (one goal, four assists) in a three-game point streak.
The Canucks have now won five games in a row and six of their last seven.
The Canucks improved 18-10-5 with 41 points, inching their way into the West’s elite (though that’s a little misleading with 33 games played). Carolina has been playing well lately, so while the Hurricanes’ 13-13-5 record isn’t very impressive, they’ve won five of their last eight games and just saw a three-game winning streak end.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 23
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 21
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (133)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)