Dec 10, 2013, 1:41 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks are heating up in December, and to some extent, they can thank their goaltenders for this run.
Eddie Lack was the man on Monday, as he earned his first career shutout while the Canucks blanked the Carolina Hurricanes 2-0. The 25-year-old is now 4-2-0 with a .925 save percentage and 2.08 GAA in his first NHL season, generally making the most of the rare moments when Roberto Luongo gets rest. Lack stopped 31 shots tonight.
Christopher Tanev scored the game-winner while Jannik Hansen grabbed an empty-netter. Chris Higgins collected two assists, giving him five points (one goal, four assists) in a three-game point streak.
The Canucks have now won five games in a row and six of their last seven.
The Canucks improved 18-10-5 with 41 points, inching their way into the West’s elite (though that’s a little misleading with 33 games played). Carolina has been playing well lately, so while the Hurricanes’ 13-13-5 record isn’t very impressive, they’ve won five of their last eight games and just saw a three-game winning streak end.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)