Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Forward Nick Johnson has been recalled from AHL Providence on an emergency basis to replace Eriksson in the lineup.
Eriksson, 28, was hurt on Saturday after a big open-ice hit from Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orpik. The hit occurred early in the first period and Eriksson, who’d played just 21 seconds prior to the collision, left the game and didn’t return.
This is second concussion Eriksson has suffered in the last two months. The first occurred in late October when Buffalo forward John Scott nailed him with a headshot, one that shelved Eriksson for five games.
Despite all the injuries, the former Dallas alternate captain has produced fairly well for Boston this year, scoring 14 points in 24 games while averaging 16:32 TOI per night.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)