Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
Forward Nick Johnson has been recalled from AHL Providence on an emergency basis to replace Eriksson in the lineup.
Eriksson, 28, was hurt on Saturday after a big open-ice hit from Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orpik. The hit occurred early in the first period and Eriksson, who’d played just 21 seconds prior to the collision, left the game and didn’t return.
This is second concussion Eriksson has suffered in the last two months. The first occurred in late October when Buffalo forward John Scott nailed him with a headshot, one that shelved Eriksson for five games.
Despite all the injuries, the former Dallas alternate captain has produced fairly well for Boston this year, scoring 14 points in 24 games while averaging 16:32 TOI per night.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)