Dec 10, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
No doubt about it, Brendan Shanahan and the rest of the league’s player safety decision-makers have been put to the test over the last few days. If you ask Gary Bettman and the NHL’s Board of Governors, it appears that they’ve passed with flying colors, as The Canadian Press reports.
“I believe the sense of the room is that Brendan Shanahan and the department of player safety has the confidence of the board of governors. He certainly has my confidence,” Bettman said. “It’s about modifying an element of the game’s culture and we think we’ve made positive, dramatic steps forward.”
Bettman praises Shanahan for his attention to detail and for being “proactive.”
The league’s GMs also gave Shanny & Co. the thumbs up.
“You’re not going to rid yourself of suspensions and what have you, but we’ve certainly come so much farther,” Nashville Predators GM David Poile said. “I mean, look where we were. I’ve been around for a long time, and some of the stuff that happened in the so-called old days, to where we are now, it’s so much better for the players and a so much better game.”
The key many (including Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli) point to is evolving the process to police the game without taking the physicality out of the sport. So far, it seems like league executives believe Shanahan is pushing things in the right direction.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)