Dec 10, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
No doubt about it, Brendan Shanahan and the rest of the league’s player safety decision-makers have been put to the test over the last few days. If you ask Gary Bettman and the NHL’s Board of Governors, it appears that they’ve passed with flying colors, as The Canadian Press reports.
“I believe the sense of the room is that Brendan Shanahan and the department of player safety has the confidence of the board of governors. He certainly has my confidence,” Bettman said. “It’s about modifying an element of the game’s culture and we think we’ve made positive, dramatic steps forward.”
Bettman praises Shanahan for his attention to detail and for being “proactive.”
The league’s GMs also gave Shanny & Co. the thumbs up.
“You’re not going to rid yourself of suspensions and what have you, but we’ve certainly come so much farther,” Nashville Predators GM David Poile said. “I mean, look where we were. I’ve been around for a long time, and some of the stuff that happened in the so-called old days, to where we are now, it’s so much better for the players and a so much better game.”
The key many (including Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli) point to is evolving the process to police the game without taking the physicality out of the sport. So far, it seems like league executives believe Shanahan is pushing things in the right direction.
May 27, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Almost completely shut the door through two periods.
May 27, 2015, 12:09 AM EDT
Game 7. Friday in New York.
May 26, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
“Boy, that escalated quickly…”
May 26, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
Ben Bishop pulled in the third period.
May 26, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
Timonen is averaging under 10 minutes of ice time per game in playoffs.
May 26, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Hadn’t scored since April 4.
May 26, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT
New York scored to make it 2-0 soon after that.
May 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
New York needs the win to force Game 7.
May 26, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT
“We’ve had a lot of informal discussions with people about this, but us or the city have yet to be presented with any kind of offer.”
May 26, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT
New York facing elimination, yet again.
May 26, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT
“I’ve had some people reach out to me,” the Red Wings GM said.
May 26, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
Meanwhile, GM Doug Armstrong says, “Show me a well-liked coach, and I’ll show you a losing coach.”
May 26, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
But let’s not call it the end of an era.
May 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EDT
Michael Russo of the StarTribune being the reporter.
May 26, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
“The Flyers have never intentionally tried to lose. That would put a foul taste in my mouth. “
May 26, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
“Does he ride guys hard and has he been on my case at times, where it’s made me angry? Yes. But he does it in the light of trying to make our team better, trying to make each individual player better.”
May 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Had a bad giveaway in Game 5, but those giveaways are going to happen occasionally.
May 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Could be held out of tonight’s potential series-clinching tilt.
May 26, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
But there’s nothing imminent, according to his agent.
May 26, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
The 36-year-old played just 14:44 last night in Anaheim.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)