Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman addressed the media regarding a variety of issues stemming from this week’s Board of Governors meetings, including his claim that expansion hasn’t been fully addressed.
“All we’re saying is we listen when somebody wants us to listen. That’s all,” Bettman said. “We’ve gone from people saying we should relocate to talk now of expansion. People need to slow down.”
Seattle-area network King TV’s Chris Daniels adds a note that Bettman said the league isn’t “ranking cities” regarding expansion, for what that’s worth. If nothing else, the NHL believes that franchises “have never been stronger.”
Expect a post regarding the league’s feelings about player safety soon, but here are a few other noteworthy takeaways from the meetings:
- The Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless reports that Winnipeg will host an upcoming Heritage Classic, with 2016 being the most likely year.
- TSN’s Darren Dreger breaks down how NHL teams struggling to hit the cap floor might get some help. There are enough numbers that some of us might need to sit down for a second after reading them (not naming names).
- The league seems happy with PED testing, though there are discussions with the NHLPA about screening for HGH. They also appear pleased with the NHL’s mental health program (via Yahoo’s Nick Cotsonika).
- Also via Cotsonika: the league claims it had people checking out venues at Sochi for the 2014 Winter Olympics and the general takeaway was that “it’s going to be great for hockey.”
So, in a nutshell, Bettman & Co. are painting an extremely positive picture about the league’s health … it just might take a while before we find out if there will be a new “member” or two added to that big, happy family.
Cotsonika has an amusing Cliffs Notes version of the updates, too, if you’d rather not read so much:
Board of governors wrap-up: Canadian TV deal (woo-hoo!), lockout rebound (haw, haw!), expansion (wink, wink), everything else (great!).
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) December 10, 2013
Feb 27, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 27, 2015, 1:35 PM EST
Could it keep him from getting moved by Monday?
Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST
“If we can’t get up emotionally for that game, then I think we have to take a deeper look at ourselves.”
Feb 27, 2015, 12:13 PM EST
Has appeared in 12 games for Minnesota this season.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
Didn’t get the power-play time in Toronto.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:39 AM EST
“He actually said, ‘Can you believe I’m calling you on this guy?’ And I said, ‘No, I can’t. But let’s talk.”
Feb 27, 2015, 11:13 AM EST
Norris candidate will sit after getting injured during Wednesday’s win over New Jersey; Tyler Wotherspoon has been recalled from AHL Adirondack.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:56 AM EST
Starting tonight in New Jersey.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:54 AM EST
Announced his retirement on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
He endured a rough stretch, but has bounced back recently.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:57 AM EST
He’ll bring experience, but at 43 years old can he also give Florida a boost offensively?
Feb 27, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:16 AM EST
His shutout streak is now at 172:22.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Nino Niederreiter combined skill and good fortune to help his team win.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 16
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)