Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman addressed the media regarding a variety of issues stemming from this week’s Board of Governors meetings, including his claim that expansion hasn’t been fully addressed.
“All we’re saying is we listen when somebody wants us to listen. That’s all,” Bettman said. “We’ve gone from people saying we should relocate to talk now of expansion. People need to slow down.”
Seattle-area network King TV’s Chris Daniels adds a note that Bettman said the league isn’t “ranking cities” regarding expansion, for what that’s worth. If nothing else, the NHL believes that franchises “have never been stronger.”
Expect a post regarding the league’s feelings about player safety soon, but here are a few other noteworthy takeaways from the meetings:
- The Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless reports that Winnipeg will host an upcoming Heritage Classic, with 2016 being the most likely year.
- TSN’s Darren Dreger breaks down how NHL teams struggling to hit the cap floor might get some help. There are enough numbers that some of us might need to sit down for a second after reading them (not naming names).
- The league seems happy with PED testing, though there are discussions with the NHLPA about screening for HGH. They also appear pleased with the NHL’s mental health program (via Yahoo’s Nick Cotsonika).
- Also via Cotsonika: the league claims it had people checking out venues at Sochi for the 2014 Winter Olympics and the general takeaway was that “it’s going to be great for hockey.”
So, in a nutshell, Bettman & Co. are painting an extremely positive picture about the league’s health … it just might take a while before we find out if there will be a new “member” or two added to that big, happy family.
Cotsonika has an amusing Cliffs Notes version of the updates, too, if you’d rather not read so much:
Board of governors wrap-up: Canadian TV deal (woo-hoo!), lockout rebound (haw, haw!), expansion (wink, wink), everything else (great!).
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) December 10, 2013
Dec 26, 2014, 11:59 AM EST
Put Matt Duchene on the list of supporters.
Dec 26, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
“That was something that wore on guys.”
Dec 26, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
He already grabbed the franchise’ assists mark in that category.
Dec 26, 2014, 9:39 AM EST
They picked him over Eric Comrie.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:31 AM EST
Boxing Day links.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
The waters are being tested with a ticket drive.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 PM EST
Sidney Crosby and Corey Perry are just two of the players that have been inflicted by the NHL outbreak.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
And the NHL’s swift, significant response.
Dec 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
2014 was another painful year, but was it also one of progress?
Dec 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
The perfect storm that led to a shocking trade deadline captains swap between two teams looking to make serious playoff runs.
Dec 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
A major letdown in Sochi, followed by the Caps missing the playoffs.
Dec 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
One of the best performances in international hockey history.
Dec 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Hockey mourned the loss of two of its most respected individuals.
Dec 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
It wasn’t the reason he was fired, but it sure was memorable.
Dec 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
After 22 years, the Finnish Flash called it a day.
Dec 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
From down 0-3 to winning it all.
Dec 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Over 105,000 descended on Ann Arbor for an unforgettable experience.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Even a disappointing Olympic finish can’t erase a star-making moment.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Was quite the playoff run for L.A. and its 27-year-old defenseman.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Check back often. It’s an all-day thing.
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 2
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)