Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman addressed the media regarding a variety of issues stemming from this week’s Board of Governors meetings, including his claim that expansion hasn’t been fully addressed.
“All we’re saying is we listen when somebody wants us to listen. That’s all,” Bettman said. ”We’ve gone from people saying we should relocate to talk now of expansion. People need to slow down.”
Seattle-area network King TV’s Chris Daniels adds a note that Bettman said the league isn’t “ranking cities” regarding expansion, for what that’s worth. If nothing else, the NHL believes that franchises “have never been stronger.”
Expect a post regarding the league’s feelings about player safety soon, but here are a few other noteworthy takeaways from the meetings:
- The Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless reports that Winnipeg will host an upcoming Heritage Classic, with 2016 being the most likely year.
- TSN’s Darren Dreger breaks down how NHL teams struggling to hit the cap floor might get some help. There are enough numbers that some of us might need to sit down for a second after reading them (not naming names).
- The league seems happy with PED testing, though there are discussions with the NHLPA about screening for HGH. They also appear pleased with the NHL’s mental health program (via Yahoo’s Nick Cotsonika).
- Also via Cotsonika: the league claims it had people checking out venues at Sochi for the 2014 Winter Olympics and the general takeaway was that “it’s going to be great for hockey.”
So, in a nutshell, Bettman & Co. are painting an extremely positive picture about the league’s health … it just might take a while before we find out if there will be a new “member” or two added to that big, happy family.
Cotsonika has an amusing Cliffs Notes version of the updates, too, if you’d rather not read so much:
Board of governors wrap-up: Canadian TV deal (woo-hoo!), lockout rebound (haw, haw!), expansion (wink, wink), everything else (great!).
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) December 10, 2013
Mar 8, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
Marc-Andre Fleury was busy in this one.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:11 AM EST
On a special night for one of the franchise’s greats.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:24 AM EST
This is just…sick. But awesome, too.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Played nine seasons in Calgary.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:19 PM EST
Last shift came late in first period.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:03 PM EST
Goals, goals and more goals in this one.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:28 PM EST
His first NHL start since Feb. 8.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Remember that blockbuster trade the other day?
Mar 7, 2014, 9:27 PM EST
Just keeps on going.
Mar 7, 2014, 9:04 PM EST
Happened 10 years ago Saturday.
Mar 7, 2014, 8:26 PM EST
Ottawa in a battle to make the playoffs.
Mar 7, 2014, 7:22 PM EST
He’s one of the top scorers for AHL Utica.
Mar 7, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
And the Stanley Cup, obviously.
Mar 7, 2014, 5:48 PM EST
He was New York’s leading scorer at the time of injury.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:51 PM EST
Click for the video of the NHL’s explanation.
Mar 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Plus five NHL games to watch this weekend.
Mar 7, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Mar 7, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Failed to “turn on the charm,” apparently.
Mar 7, 2014, 1:24 PM EST
More praise for them on Thursday after previously calling them the best team in the NHL.
Mar 7, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
“I thought he was real good.”
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)