Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 PM EDT
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman addressed the media regarding a variety of issues stemming from this week’s Board of Governors meetings, including his claim that expansion hasn’t been fully addressed.
“All we’re saying is we listen when somebody wants us to listen. That’s all,” Bettman said. “We’ve gone from people saying we should relocate to talk now of expansion. People need to slow down.”
Seattle-area network King TV’s Chris Daniels adds a note that Bettman said the league isn’t “ranking cities” regarding expansion, for what that’s worth. If nothing else, the NHL believes that franchises “have never been stronger.”
Expect a post regarding the league’s feelings about player safety soon, but here are a few other noteworthy takeaways from the meetings:
- The Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless reports that Winnipeg will host an upcoming Heritage Classic, with 2016 being the most likely year.
- TSN’s Darren Dreger breaks down how NHL teams struggling to hit the cap floor might get some help. There are enough numbers that some of us might need to sit down for a second after reading them (not naming names).
- The league seems happy with PED testing, though there are discussions with the NHLPA about screening for HGH. They also appear pleased with the NHL’s mental health program (via Yahoo’s Nick Cotsonika).
- Also via Cotsonika: the league claims it had people checking out venues at Sochi for the 2014 Winter Olympics and the general takeaway was that “it’s going to be great for hockey.”
So, in a nutshell, Bettman & Co. are painting an extremely positive picture about the league’s health … it just might take a while before we find out if there will be a new “member” or two added to that big, happy family.
Cotsonika has an amusing Cliffs Notes version of the updates, too, if you’d rather not read so much:
Board of governors wrap-up: Canadian TV deal (woo-hoo!), lockout rebound (haw, haw!), expansion (wink, wink), everything else (great!).
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) December 10, 2013
Apr 21, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
Just a few storylines heading into this one…
Apr 21, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Paul Stastny, Nathan MacKinnon, and Gabriel Landeskog have scored seven of the Avs’ nine goals.
Apr 21, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Justin Fontaine also gets in.
Apr 21, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Spearing has been a hot topic in the early stages of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Apr 21, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
First playoff game at Nationwide in five years tonight.
Apr 21, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Columbus comes home after a game of franchise firsts in Pittsburgh.
Apr 21, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
John Gibson and Sami Vatanen on their way down.
Apr 21, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Maybe he was a big fan of donuts.
Apr 21, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
They’re a young team that isn’t intimidated.
Apr 21, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
Columbus and Dallas host playoff games for first time in years.
Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
This has happened a few times in these playoffs.
Apr 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Apr 21, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
This one could’ve gotten uglier than it did.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:47 AM EDT
Took this game over in the second period.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
Patrick Roy: “We’re going to be very smart about when he’s going to come back.”
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Was shaken up after taking a knee to the head.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
Just another game between these two California rivals.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Tough breaks for Tampa Bay.
- Wild hoping last change can help turn the tide versus Avs 0
- Wild changes: Kuemper starts, Brodziak sits, Heatley draws in 2
- No hearing scheduled for Richards after Couture spear 8
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 14
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 25
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 31
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 68
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (152)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (111)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)