With Lecavalier hurt, Flyers recall McGinn

Dec 9, 2013, 11:23 AM EDT

Tye McGinn Getty Images

Philadelphia recalled Tye McGinn from AHL Adirondack on Monday, the club announced.

McGinn, 23, has split time between the Phantoms and Flyers this season, and was actually sent down earlier this year despite leading Philadelphia in goals (granted, he only had three at the time.)

The former fourth-round pick has appeared in six games for Philly this season and 18 last season. His recall comes at the expense of Vincent Lecavalier, who was diagnosed with a non-displaced fracture in his lower back over the weekend, and is expected to miss 3-4 weeks.

Lecavalier, 33, doesn’t have a history of back issues but has struggled with heath over recent years. He missed nine games last season with a lower-body injury and 18 games the year before due to a broken right hand.

The former Tampa Bay captain has nine goals and 14 points in 22 games with the Flyers this season.

1. broadstreetsbaddest88 - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I’m glad to see him get called up. I like the way he plays. Raffl has been good this year but hasn’t seemed to fit in on that second line as a fill in. He needs to start cashing in on his scoring chances, there’s been to many. I think Mcginn will help fill that void till Vinny gets back. I wish they’d give Jason Akeson a chance at some point. I think he has potential and has been the phantoms best player the last 3 years and this year

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM

You think Raffl has been good this year? 17 games, 0 goals 2 assists -3 ONLY 25 shots on goal. He constantly misses the net when he does shoot. I have to disagree with you on that comment.

• broadstreetsbaddest88 - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM

About 10-12 of them games have been spent on the fourth line. He’s been real physical and aggressive along the boards and at times have showed good puck possession. He’s also been real good in our own zone too. He has missed a lot of shots on net like I said but in other aspects of the ice he’s shown some impressiveness.

• WillIEverSeeACupInMyLife? - Dec 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I think you’re watching the wrong player as I’ve seen NOTHING of what you have said he does.

2. zta7991 - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM

agreed but I think them calling up mcginn is more to also replace the size vinny provides…I see akeson getting called up if someone like read or god forbid giroux get injured

• broadstreetsbaddest88 - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Yeah I think your right, he’d only get a shot if someone one the 3rd went down. I think Akeson is a better fit with more minutes on a top line then on a 3rd line with them minutes, which I don’t see him having much a impact in that role but I liked what I’ve seen from him in last years Ottawa game and in preseason. He’s got good hands and speed and puts up good numbers in the AHL. I hope we get to see him up at some point this year. I’d like to see what he’s capable of becoming

3. ibieiniid - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Hartnell – G – Voracek
    Read – Couts – Downie
    Schenn – Hall – Simmonds
    McGinn – Raffl – Rinaldo

not many changes, but I like Schenn better on the wing and Hall’s been tearing it up. Raffl has yet to prove to me that he’s an offensive player. but hey, I’m not the Chief.

• ibieiniid - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM

oh and the fact that, seeing as how they get more minutes anyway, we begin calling the 3rd line the 2nd line.

4. zta7991 - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:02 PM

raffls stats arent glamorous by any means but he does the things that don’t show up on the score sheet…he is decent on the boards and has some pk time…not much though…and I think when he hits the net more he will start getting the stats…keep in mind also its his first year in North America

• ibieiniid - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM

i get that, but he’s playing now, not in the future. we need him to score NOW.

but that’s what the 3rd and 4th lines are for, guys who do the small stuff to get off the ice damage-free. I like him as a prospect, but a 2nd liner? nah.

• ibieiniid - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM

man, that 2nd part really makes me feel like a Flyers fan. we haven’t had 3rd or 4th line offensive production in a long while before this season. maybe I’m just forgetting that the bottom lines are allowed to score too.

5. President Charles Logan - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Todd Hall and Jay Rosehill , dead weight , you guys need to replace them with more production

• President Charles Logan - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM

My mistake i meant Adam Hall

• broadstreetsbaddest88 - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

It’s Adam Hall and he’s been more then impressive in his fourth line role. He’s been our best penalty killer and face off. He was something like 80% in November in the face off circle. He’s doing exactly what is expected if not more

• ibieiniid - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM

shoulda read the replies before I replied. yeah Hall was a smart addition. I really like him.

and Rosehill plays a role… but it happens to be the same role Rinaldo does. I don’t see a need for both of them at the same time. I said last week they shoulda already had McGinn up instead of Rosehill.

• lilgurgi - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Todd Hall? Anything you tried to argue after that point went right out the window. If you’re going to criticize at least get the name right…

• President Charles Logan - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM

corrected it before all the name and grammar police could call me out for it. but thats not the point, the point is him and rosehill are irrelevant

• ibieiniid - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM

you’re wrong on Hall. he needs to have somebody next to him. plus, he’s been UNBELIEVABLE on faceoffs. he comes in for Schenn sometimes to win draws and change up immediately after, since Schenn can’t win one to save his life.

6. zta7991 - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I am agree that raffl needs to start putting the puck in net and if he doesn’t start soon he needs to be put in the minors to develop a little more…I think he has the potential to be a decent nhl player…and sending him down would make room to get the phantoms players that earned a shot at the nhl to play. also now that our “third” line is producing our second line drops off…they need to pick up the 5 on 5 production…all three of th play on the power play and that’s where almost all of there points come from…which there is nothing wrong with that but I want to see a better 5 on 5 effort

• ibieiniid - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM

to be fair, they haven’t gotten as much playing time as the 3rd line lately.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D