Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks will have their goaltending depth tested this week.
With Corey Crawford nursing a lower-body injury (he won’t travel to Dallas for Tuesday’s game) and Nikolai Khabibulin on IR, the club was forced to recall Kent Simpson from AHL Rockford on Monday — meaning the ‘Hawks are now rolling with the goalie tandem that’s carried the IceHogs for most of this season.
Antti Raanta, previously called up in the wake of Khabibulin’s injury, will be Chicago’s temporary No. 1 while Simpson’s stint with the club largely depends on how fast Crawford and/or Khabibulin can get healthy. The veteran Russian was said to be “working out like crazy,” according to head coach Joel Quenneville, who also suggested Crawford’s injury isn’t too serious.
Simpson, 21, has appeared in 15 games with Rockford this season, posting a 6-7-0 record, with a 3.38 goals-against average and a .900 save percentage in those contests. Raanta is 3-0-1 for the ‘Hawks this year with a 2.16 GAA and .922 save percentage.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 3
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 10
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)