Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks will have their goaltending depth tested this week.
With Corey Crawford nursing a lower-body injury (he won’t travel to Dallas for Tuesday’s game) and Nikolai Khabibulin on IR, the club was forced to recall Kent Simpson from AHL Rockford on Monday — meaning the ‘Hawks are now rolling with the goalie tandem that’s carried the IceHogs for most of this season.
Antti Raanta, previously called up in the wake of Khabibulin’s injury, will be Chicago’s temporary No. 1 while Simpson’s stint with the club largely depends on how fast Crawford and/or Khabibulin can get healthy. The veteran Russian was said to be “working out like crazy,” according to head coach Joel Quenneville, who also suggested Crawford’s injury isn’t too serious.
Simpson, 21, has appeared in 15 games with Rockford this season, posting a 6-7-0 record, with a 3.38 goals-against average and a .900 save percentage in those contests. Raanta is 3-0-1 for the ‘Hawks this year with a 2.16 GAA and .922 save percentage.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 0
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 7
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 31
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)