Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks will have their goaltending depth tested this week.
With Corey Crawford nursing a lower-body injury (he won’t travel to Dallas for Tuesday’s game) and Nikolai Khabibulin on IR, the club was forced to recall Kent Simpson from AHL Rockford on Monday — meaning the ‘Hawks are now rolling with the goalie tandem that’s carried the IceHogs for most of this season.
Antti Raanta, previously called up in the wake of Khabibulin’s injury, will be Chicago’s temporary No. 1 while Simpson’s stint with the club largely depends on how fast Crawford and/or Khabibulin can get healthy. The veteran Russian was said to be “working out like crazy,” according to head coach Joel Quenneville, who also suggested Crawford’s injury isn’t too serious.
Simpson, 21, has appeared in 15 games with Rockford this season, posting a 6-7-0 record, with a 3.38 goals-against average and a .900 save percentage in those contests. Raanta is 3-0-1 for the ‘Hawks this year with a 2.16 GAA and .922 save percentage.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)