Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks will have their goaltending depth tested this week.
With Corey Crawford nursing a lower-body injury (he won’t travel to Dallas for Tuesday’s game) and Nikolai Khabibulin on IR, the club was forced to recall Kent Simpson from AHL Rockford on Monday — meaning the ‘Hawks are now rolling with the goalie tandem that’s carried the IceHogs for most of this season.
Antti Raanta, previously called up in the wake of Khabibulin’s injury, will be Chicago’s temporary No. 1 while Simpson’s stint with the club largely depends on how fast Crawford and/or Khabibulin can get healthy. The veteran Russian was said to be “working out like crazy,” according to head coach Joel Quenneville, who also suggested Crawford’s injury isn’t too serious.
Simpson, 21, has appeared in 15 games with Rockford this season, posting a 6-7-0 record, with a 3.38 goals-against average and a .900 save percentage in those contests. Raanta is 3-0-1 for the ‘Hawks this year with a 2.16 GAA and .922 save percentage.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)