Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
It wasn’t the loudest chant you’ll ever hear; they rarely are at Rogers Arena. But there was no mistaking the name of the fans’ favorite during Vancouver’s 3-1 victory last night over Colorado — San-to-rel-li.
As in, Mike Santorelli. Formerly of the Nashville Predators and Florida Panthers. Had a brief, unsuccessful stint with Winnipeg last season. The Canucks signed him to a two-way deal in July, with the expectation he was bound for the farm team in Utica.
Turns out expectations were a tad low. Not only did Santorelli — a Vancouver native, by the way — make the big club, the 27-year-old forward now sits fourth in team scoring, with 21 points in 32 games.
Santorelli figured on all three Canucks goals versus the Avs, scoring two of them and setting up Ryan Kesler‘s 15th.
Speaking of which, his apparent chemistry with Kesler is another bonus, given the elusiveness of that particular pursuit for Canuck management. But the chemistry makes sense. Santorelli is a good puck distributor, which isn’t something you’d call Kesler, who’s more of a puck taker.
Santorelli is also a pending unrestricted free agent who should be in for a nice raise next season, particularly if he can keep producing at the same rate for the Canucks. And he did have 20 goals and 21 assists for the Panthers in 2010-11, so it would be unfair to call what he’s doing now a fluke. It’s just, nobody really heard about him when he was in Florida.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)