Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
It wasn’t the loudest chant you’ll ever hear; they rarely are at Rogers Arena. But there was no mistaking the name of the fans’ favorite during Vancouver’s 3-1 victory last night over Colorado — San-to-rel-li.
As in, Mike Santorelli. Formerly of the Nashville Predators and Florida Panthers. Had a brief, unsuccessful stint with Winnipeg last season. The Canucks signed him to a two-way deal in July, with the expectation he was bound for the farm team in Utica.
Turns out expectations were a tad low. Not only did Santorelli — a Vancouver native, by the way — make the big club, the 27-year-old forward now sits fourth in team scoring, with 21 points in 32 games.
Santorelli figured on all three Canucks goals versus the Avs, scoring two of them and setting up Ryan Kesler‘s 15th.
Speaking of which, his apparent chemistry with Kesler is another bonus, given the elusiveness of that particular pursuit for Canuck management. But the chemistry makes sense. Santorelli is a good puck distributor, which isn’t something you’d call Kesler, who’s more of a puck taker.
Santorelli is also a pending unrestricted free agent who should be in for a nice raise next season, particularly if he can keep producing at the same rate for the Canucks. And he did have 20 goals and 21 assists for the Panthers in 2010-11, so it would be unfair to call what he’s doing now a fluke. It’s just, nobody really heard about him when he was in Florida.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)