Dec 9, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
It wasn’t by much – Craig Anderson had to make sure that Sean Couturier‘s shootout attempt hit the crossbar, not his net – but the Ottawa Senators were ecstatic to edge the Philadelphia Flyers 5-4 (SO) on Monday.
The Senators lost four of their last five games and only had three wins in their last 11 contests coming into Monday’s game, so this could be a nice confidence booster. They can really get some momentum going, as they have a home-and-home coming up against the Buffalo Sabres.
They’d be wise to finish 2013 off on a high note, too, as the run from Jan. 1 to the 2014 Winter Olympics could be downright brutal.
The Ottawa Citizen’s James Gordon points out that the Senators have fired more shots on goal than they’ve allowed for seven straight games, so perhaps it’s all about turning their goaltending around (Craig Anderson celebrated the win emphatically, for one).
This represents a bit of a stumble for Steve Mason and the Flyers. Philly has lost three of its last four games while Mason has allowed four goals in each of his two consecutive losses. If you want a simple statement to capture how dramatic a rebound season this has been for the 25-year-old, consider this: he hadn’t allowed more than three goals in any contest in 2013-14 until the past two defeats.
On the bright side, the Flyers only have one more away contest left (tomorrow against the mighty Blackhawks) in their six-game road trip. That also concludes a run of eight road games vs. just one home contest.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)