Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Suffice to say, frustrated Islanders fans are hoping general manager Garth Snow is considering more changes than just waiving Pierre-Marc Bouchard and calling up Ryan Strome.
This is, after all, a team that’s winless in nine and 10 points back of a playoff spot. Surely there’s more that can be done.
If there is, Snow hasn’t been willing to talk about it publicly.
“We’re looking at all our options,” he said Sunday in conversation with Newsday. “The one thing we don’t do, whether it’s with the coaches or the players, is discuss conversations with anyone in the media. All the interactions I have with our team remain private.
“Obviously, we have some key players not performing at a high enough level. I understand the frustrations of our fans. We have those same frustrations in our locker room, in the coaches’ room, for myself. We felt we had guys who were ready to take the next step. Now we’re just trying to right the ship and win a few games.”
If the Isles lose tonight in Anaheim, their winless streak will reach 10, which just so happens to match the number that led to former coach Scott Gordon’s dismissal in 2010.
Could current bench boss Jack Capuano receive a similar fate? Anything’s possible, we suppose; however, the Isles still have games in San Jose and Phoenix before they return home, and how often do you see a coach fired in the middle of a road trip?
And to be fair to Capuano, the Isles haven’t played dreadfully in their past few games, which have come against tough opponents in Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Los Angeles.
Unfortunately for the 8-17-5 Isles, it’s going to take a comeback bordering on the miraculous to salvage the season. We’re talking a record in the neighborhood of 32-15-5 in their final 52 games to make the playoffs. Maybe they can get away with a few more losses if the Metropolitan Division keeps under-performing the rest of the NHL. But you get the picture — the damage has been done, and it’s considerable.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
“It wasn’t a perfect fit, to be honest.”
Apr 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
Should be an interesting offseason in Pittsburgh.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Though the former will be on the limp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Both expected to be ready for training camp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Occurred late in the second period on Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Both are unrestricted free agents this summer.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 25
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)