Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Suffice to say, frustrated Islanders fans are hoping general manager Garth Snow is considering more changes than just waiving Pierre-Marc Bouchard and calling up Ryan Strome.
This is, after all, a team that’s winless in nine and 10 points back of a playoff spot. Surely there’s more that can be done.
If there is, Snow hasn’t been willing to talk about it publicly.
“We’re looking at all our options,” he said Sunday in conversation with Newsday. “The one thing we don’t do, whether it’s with the coaches or the players, is discuss conversations with anyone in the media. All the interactions I have with our team remain private.
“Obviously, we have some key players not performing at a high enough level. I understand the frustrations of our fans. We have those same frustrations in our locker room, in the coaches’ room, for myself. We felt we had guys who were ready to take the next step. Now we’re just trying to right the ship and win a few games.”
If the Isles lose tonight in Anaheim, their winless streak will reach 10, which just so happens to match the number that led to former coach Scott Gordon’s dismissal in 2010.
Could current bench boss Jack Capuano receive a similar fate? Anything’s possible, we suppose; however, the Isles still have games in San Jose and Phoenix before they return home, and how often do you see a coach fired in the middle of a road trip?
And to be fair to Capuano, the Isles haven’t played dreadfully in their past few games, which have come against tough opponents in Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Los Angeles.
Unfortunately for the 8-17-5 Isles, it’s going to take a comeback bordering on the miraculous to salvage the season. We’re talking a record in the neighborhood of 32-15-5 in their final 52 games to make the playoffs. Maybe they can get away with a few more losses if the Metropolitan Division keeps under-performing the rest of the NHL. But you get the picture — the damage has been done, and it’s considerable.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
It blows the Kings goaltender’s mind that he’s not talked about more, so let’s discuss him.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He used to have that role with the Calgary Flames.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
They signed him to a one-year deal while fellow breakout rookie Mark Stone got a three-year contract.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Jim Benning follows through after calling him a “foundation piece.”
Aug 4, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Assuming of course Bill Foley succeeds in his attempt to bring the NHL to Sin City.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Where should we set the bar post-Babcock?
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)