Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Suffice to say, frustrated Islanders fans are hoping general manager Garth Snow is considering more changes than just waiving Pierre-Marc Bouchard and calling up Ryan Strome.
This is, after all, a team that’s winless in nine and 10 points back of a playoff spot. Surely there’s more that can be done.
If there is, Snow hasn’t been willing to talk about it publicly.
“We’re looking at all our options,” he said Sunday in conversation with Newsday. “The one thing we don’t do, whether it’s with the coaches or the players, is discuss conversations with anyone in the media. All the interactions I have with our team remain private.
“Obviously, we have some key players not performing at a high enough level. I understand the frustrations of our fans. We have those same frustrations in our locker room, in the coaches’ room, for myself. We felt we had guys who were ready to take the next step. Now we’re just trying to right the ship and win a few games.”
If the Isles lose tonight in Anaheim, their winless streak will reach 10, which just so happens to match the number that led to former coach Scott Gordon’s dismissal in 2010.
Could current bench boss Jack Capuano receive a similar fate? Anything’s possible, we suppose; however, the Isles still have games in San Jose and Phoenix before they return home, and how often do you see a coach fired in the middle of a road trip?
And to be fair to Capuano, the Isles haven’t played dreadfully in their past few games, which have come against tough opponents in Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Los Angeles.
Unfortunately for the 8-17-5 Isles, it’s going to take a comeback bordering on the miraculous to salvage the season. We’re talking a record in the neighborhood of 32-15-5 in their final 52 games to make the playoffs. Maybe they can get away with a few more losses if the Metropolitan Division keeps under-performing the rest of the NHL. But you get the picture — the damage has been done, and it’s considerable.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Terriers move one step closer to the Frozen Four.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
“In the middle of the ice in our system, it’s a lot of work.”
Mar 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
And, quite possibly, for the remainder of the season.
Mar 27, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
Nail-biting time for Bruins fans.
Mar 27, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Joins Pavel Datsyuk and Erik Cole on the shelf.
Mar 27, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Mar 27, 2015, 2:23 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Vancouver laid another egg last night versus the Avs.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Because things aren’t trending in a good direction for him.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Three straight road wins has the Kings looking postseason-bound.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
“We’re on the course that we set two months ago when we made the decision that Ells was going to be the guy, and we’re not changing that course.”
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Red Wings host the Sharks tomorrow.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Russian sophomore has missed nearly the entire season with a hip ailment.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s been assigned to Hershey on a conditioning assignment.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Changes to the bylaws allow the Philly defenseman to be inducted.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
The group is nearing its goal of securing 10,000 season ticket deposits.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)