Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Suffice to say, frustrated Islanders fans are hoping general manager Garth Snow is considering more changes than just waiving Pierre-Marc Bouchard and calling up Ryan Strome.
This is, after all, a team that’s winless in nine and 10 points back of a playoff spot. Surely there’s more that can be done.
If there is, Snow hasn’t been willing to talk about it publicly.
“We’re looking at all our options,” he said Sunday in conversation with Newsday. “The one thing we don’t do, whether it’s with the coaches or the players, is discuss conversations with anyone in the media. All the interactions I have with our team remain private.
“Obviously, we have some key players not performing at a high enough level. I understand the frustrations of our fans. We have those same frustrations in our locker room, in the coaches’ room, for myself. We felt we had guys who were ready to take the next step. Now we’re just trying to right the ship and win a few games.”
If the Isles lose tonight in Anaheim, their winless streak will reach 10, which just so happens to match the number that led to former coach Scott Gordon’s dismissal in 2010.
Could current bench boss Jack Capuano receive a similar fate? Anything’s possible, we suppose; however, the Isles still have games in San Jose and Phoenix before they return home, and how often do you see a coach fired in the middle of a road trip?
And to be fair to Capuano, the Isles haven’t played dreadfully in their past few games, which have come against tough opponents in Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Los Angeles.
Unfortunately for the 8-17-5 Isles, it’s going to take a comeback bordering on the miraculous to salvage the season. We’re talking a record in the neighborhood of 32-15-5 in their final 52 games to make the playoffs. Maybe they can get away with a few more losses if the Metropolitan Division keeps under-performing the rest of the NHL. But you get the picture — the damage has been done, and it’s considerable.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted the report in Ilta-Sanomat.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”
Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Can he beat out Cam Talbot and Ben Scrivens?
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
He played through the injury in 2014-15.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
That’s per L.A. GM Dean Lombardi.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Which leaves the question — would they make a move?
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)