Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf will receive a disciplinary hearing with the NHL for his hit from behind on Boston Bruins blueliner Kevan Miller on Sunday, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports. Update: the hearing will take place on Tuesday, according to various reports.
Here’s video of the check, which didn’t earn a penalty:
Searching through The Hockey News’ and Cap Geek’s suspension records, Phaneuf hasn’t received a suspension before. That’s impressive considering the fact that the 28-year-old’s hard hits inspired people to make a verb out of his last name.
It might help Phaneuf’s cause that Miller, 26, is a little banged up but isn’t expected to miss time with whatever ailments came from that check.
The Bruins experienced a trying weekend for a team that won both of its games, as incidents involving the team (Shawn Thornton on Brooks Orpik, James Neal on Brad Marchand and now this) will also keep the NHL’s Department of Player Safety busy.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5