Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf will receive a disciplinary hearing with the NHL for his hit from behind on Boston Bruins blueliner Kevan Miller on Sunday, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports. Update: the hearing will take place on Tuesday, according to various reports.
Here’s video of the check, which didn’t earn a penalty:
Searching through The Hockey News’ and Cap Geek’s suspension records, Phaneuf hasn’t received a suspension before. That’s impressive considering the fact that the 28-year-old’s hard hits inspired people to make a verb out of his last name.
It might help Phaneuf’s cause that Miller, 26, is a little banged up but isn’t expected to miss time with whatever ailments came from that check.
The Bruins experienced a trying weekend for a team that won both of its games, as incidents involving the team (Shawn Thornton on Brooks Orpik, James Neal on Brad Marchand and now this) will also keep the NHL’s Department of Player Safety busy.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)