Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf will receive a disciplinary hearing with the NHL for his hit from behind on Boston Bruins blueliner Kevan Miller on Sunday, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports. Update: the hearing will take place on Tuesday, according to various reports.
Here’s video of the check, which didn’t earn a penalty:
Searching through The Hockey News’ and Cap Geek’s suspension records, Phaneuf hasn’t received a suspension before. That’s impressive considering the fact that the 28-year-old’s hard hits inspired people to make a verb out of his last name.
It might help Phaneuf’s cause that Miller, 26, is a little banged up but isn’t expected to miss time with whatever ailments came from that check.
The Bruins experienced a trying weekend for a team that won both of its games, as incidents involving the team (Shawn Thornton on Brooks Orpik, James Neal on Brad Marchand and now this) will also keep the NHL’s Department of Player Safety busy.
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 3
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 15
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)