Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf will receive a disciplinary hearing with the NHL for his hit from behind on Boston Bruins blueliner Kevan Miller on Sunday, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports. Update: the hearing will take place on Tuesday, according to various reports.
Here’s video of the check, which didn’t earn a penalty:
Searching through The Hockey News’ and Cap Geek’s suspension records, Phaneuf hasn’t received a suspension before. That’s impressive considering the fact that the 28-year-old’s hard hits inspired people to make a verb out of his last name.
It might help Phaneuf’s cause that Miller, 26, is a little banged up but isn’t expected to miss time with whatever ailments came from that check.
The Bruins experienced a trying weekend for a team that won both of its games, as incidents involving the team (Shawn Thornton on Brooks Orpik, James Neal on Brad Marchand and now this) will also keep the NHL’s Department of Player Safety busy.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 8
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40