Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf will receive a disciplinary hearing with the NHL for his hit from behind on Boston Bruins blueliner Kevan Miller on Sunday, TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports. Update: the hearing will take place on Tuesday, according to various reports.
Here’s video of the check, which didn’t earn a penalty:
Searching through The Hockey News’ and Cap Geek’s suspension records, Phaneuf hasn’t received a suspension before. That’s impressive considering the fact that the 28-year-old’s hard hits inspired people to make a verb out of his last name.
It might help Phaneuf’s cause that Miller, 26, is a little banged up but isn’t expected to miss time with whatever ailments came from that check.
The Bruins experienced a trying weekend for a team that won both of its games, as incidents involving the team (Shawn Thornton on Brooks Orpik, James Neal on Brad Marchand and now this) will also keep the NHL’s Department of Player Safety busy.
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 0
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 43
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12