Dec 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
NHL general managers will look at a salary cap of at least $71 million in 2014-15, TSN’s Darren Dreger reports from Monday’s Board of Governors meetings.
Naturally, keep in mind that Dreger describes this as a projected amount, so there could be a few $100K here and there. Either way, it’s a significant jump from this season’s $64.3 million limit.
To give you a more fun idea of how much of a difference that would make than just spitting out the number $6.7 million, chew on this: a maxed out team could basically afford an extra Nicklas Backstrom with that boost:
(Again, it might not end up being exactly $6.7 million, but it’s a solid estimate and an even better highlight …)
The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle estimates that this would make for a salary cap floor of $54 million. (NHL.com’s Dan Rosen puts it around $52 million.)
In perhaps the least shocking news of Monday, the NHL’s 30 owners also ratified the league’s new 12-year, $5.2 billion Canadian TV deal with Rogers Communications.
That extra money could very well factor into the cap continuing to climb in 2015-16 and beyond, but we’ll need to wait and see.
For more cap (but not specifically Caps) talk, click here.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:38 PM EST
Jhonas Enroth is making the most of his opportunity, to say the least.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
This one looks painful.
Mar 6, 2014, 10:06 PM EST
Boston shut them out 3-0 on Thursday.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:56 PM EST
Plenty of talent on the ice for this late one.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:48 PM EST
It’s unclear how severe the injury is.
Mar 6, 2014, 9:34 PM EST
Ugly start for Vancouver vs. Dallas.
Mar 6, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
No one will wear No. 5 in Detroit again.
Mar 6, 2014, 7:56 PM EST
Injuries make him a key player instantly with Red Wings.
Mar 6, 2014, 7:46 PM EST
No denying whose team it is now, anyway.
Mar 6, 2014, 6:27 PM EST
He’s expected to line up with Tomas Plekanec and Alex Galchenyuk.
Mar 6, 2014, 5:28 PM EST
Mar 6, 2014, 5:07 PM EST
George McPhee “likes” this.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:51 PM EST
He’s eligible for the Hockey Hall of Fame this year too.
Mar 6, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
High hopes in St. Louis with Ryan Miller between the pipes.
Mar 6, 2014, 3:52 PM EST
All the latest from around the crease…
Mar 6, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
Signed through 2016-17 with a cap hit of $4.5 million.
Mar 6, 2014, 2:38 PM EST
Should be an interesting goalie competition down the stretch.
Mar 6, 2014, 1:56 PM EST
He’ll miss the final two games of their Western swing.
Mar 6, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Kings take on the Jets in Winnipeg tonight.
Mar 6, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
New Jersey will get its first-round pick after all.
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 0
- Alzner on Washington’s woes: ‘The killer instinct isn’t there right now’ 3
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 46
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Minnesota lands Moulson, McCormick from Buffalo (Updated) 31
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)