Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
The team announced that the 33-year-old is dealing with a concussion. In addition to that, he’s experiencing soreness in his neck and back alongside headaches.
“(Sunday) he definitely had soreness because of the situation in the neck and back and had a headache,” Head coach Dan Bylsma said. “He’s dealing with a concussion. I don’t know how long that’s going to be.”
NHL.com’s Dan Rosen fills in some troubling details about Orpik’s memory loss:
Shero said Orpik doesn’t remember anything that happened after the anthem Saturday night. He’s doing OK, resting, has headaches, neck ache.
— Dan Rosen (@drosennhl) December 10, 2013
There was some optimism regarding Orpik’s condition on Monday morning, but it turns out that was relative, as his status was at least promising compared to being taken off the ice on a stretcher (as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Seth Rorabaugh reports).
The hockey world is still waiting to see what kind of punishment Shawn Thornton (currently suspended indefinitely) will receive for the incident that injured Orpik. The Penguins defenseman drew Thornton’s ire for a big hit on Loui Eriksson, which left the Bruins forward concussed.
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 10
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 36
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12