Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
The team announced that the 33-year-old is dealing with a concussion. In addition to that, he’s experiencing soreness in his neck and back alongside headaches.
“(Sunday) he definitely had soreness because of the situation in the neck and back and had a headache,” Head coach Dan Bylsma said. “He’s dealing with a concussion. I don’t know how long that’s going to be.”
NHL.com’s Dan Rosen fills in some troubling details about Orpik’s memory loss:
Shero said Orpik doesn’t remember anything that happened after the anthem Saturday night. He’s doing OK, resting, has headaches, neck ache.
— Dan Rosen (@drosennhl) December 10, 2013
There was some optimism regarding Orpik’s condition on Monday morning, but it turns out that was relative, as his status was at least promising compared to being taken off the ice on a stretcher (as the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Seth Rorabaugh reports).
The hockey world is still waiting to see what kind of punishment Shawn Thornton (currently suspended indefinitely) will receive for the incident that injured Orpik. The Penguins defenseman drew Thornton’s ire for a big hit on Loui Eriksson, which left the Bruins forward concussed.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)