Dec 9, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning didn’t get very good goaltending last season. And in a very much related story, they didn’t make the playoffs.
This season has been a different story, though. Thanks in large part to an impressive .918 team save percentage, as produced by the tandem of Ben Bishop and Anders Lindback, the Lightning are 17-10-2 after 29 games and hold the first wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference.
And that’s despite losing star Steven Stamkos to injury almost a month ago.
“We’re not in the spot we are in the standings if we don’t have the goaltending we’ve been getting, especially with a team that’s going through lineup changes on a daily basis and has the inability to score right now,” head coach Jon Cooper said. “I can’t stress enough how much that’s kept us in the race.”
Other teams currently in a playoff position that should be thankful for their goaltending? Montreal, Colorado, Toronto, and Washington.
Teams in the opposite situation? New Jersey and the Islanders.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)