Dec 9, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning didn’t get very good goaltending last season. And in a very much related story, they didn’t make the playoffs.
This season has been a different story, though. Thanks in large part to an impressive .918 team save percentage, as produced by the tandem of Ben Bishop and Anders Lindback, the Lightning are 17-10-2 after 29 games and hold the first wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference.
And that’s despite losing star Steven Stamkos to injury almost a month ago.
“We’re not in the spot we are in the standings if we don’t have the goaltending we’ve been getting, especially with a team that’s going through lineup changes on a daily basis and has the inability to score right now,” head coach Jon Cooper said. “I can’t stress enough how much that’s kept us in the race.”
Other teams currently in a playoff position that should be thankful for their goaltending? Montreal, Colorado, Toronto, and Washington.
Teams in the opposite situation? New Jersey and the Islanders.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 0
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 7
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)