Dec 9, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
While many have assumed this will be Martin Brodeur‘s last NHL season — the 41-year-old is in the final year of his deal, and Cory Schneider appears ready to assume the No. 1 gig — there are a couple people who warn against buying Brodeur a golden watch.
One is Brodeur himself. Another is a guy that knows a thing or two about extending shelf life — Jaromir Jagr.
“Hey, don’t count him out. Trust me. He can play another three or four years,” Jagr told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “Dominik Hasek came back when he was 47. (Brodeur) can play however long he wants to play.
“It’s up to him. He still loves the game, so it’s up to him.”
The topic of Brodeur’s playing future has been a hot one this season. Schneider has publicly expressed frustration about splitting time with Brodeur — or, more accurately, expressed frustration about sitting behind Brodeur for stretches — and Brodeur’s quality play (7-7-2, 2.25 GAA) has only added to the intrigue.
Another interesting wrinkle — especially with Jagr discussing the subject — would be Brodeur continuing his career somewhere other than New Jersey. Brodeur’s on record saying he wouldn’t rule out moving to a contending team at the deadline and could take a cue from Jagr, who’s played for four different teams (Philly, Dallas, Boston and New Jersey) since returning to the NHL in 201-12.
Brodeur’s comments were reminiscent of, though a bit different than, the ones he made back in late 2011 when he was a pending unrestricted free agent.
“In the future you never know, but I don’t want to [change teams],” he said. “But if I want to play — and I have so much respect for this organization — and if they don’t feel I’m the guy for them and they want to move on, if I still want to play I have to look after myself. I don’t see that happening, but I can’t say no.”
Sep 21, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The team’s still trying to determine if surgery is necessary.
Sep 21, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
He won’t play in either of Ottawa’s Monday exhibitions games.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Seasoning in the AHL should serve the 20-year-old well.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Agent confirms talking to several KHL teams.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)