Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
The struggling New York Islanders made a significant move on Monday, putting veteran forward Pierre-Marc Bouchard on waivers in a move designed to bring Ryan Strome — the fifth overall pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft — up from AHL Bridgeport, according to Newsday.
Bouchard, 29, was signed as a free agent this summer to a one-year, $2 million deal. Though his offensive production hasn’t been terrible — four goals and nine points in 28 games — he’s minus-9 on the year and has seen his ice-time dwindle lately (he played a season-low 10 minutes against Pittsburgh last Tuesday.)
Newsday’s Arthur Staple reports that once Bouchard clears waivers or is picked up by another team, Strome will join the Islanders.
For many, this is an exciting development. Strome was part of a stellar top-five crop at the ’11 Draft — Ryan Nugent-Hopkins went first overall, followed by Gabriel Landeskog, Jonathan Huberdeau and Adam Larsson — and the former OHL Niagara standout has been tearing it up with AHL Bridgeport this season.
Strome, 20, leads the league in scoring with 33 points in 23 games, which includes a league-high 24 assists. He’s impressed in each of the last two Islander training camps and now appears primed to make his NHL debut, which could come on Tuesday when the Isles take on the Sharks in San Jose.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)