Dec 9, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
“We feel like we’re an elite team. And now we’re starting to show it.”
That was Anaheim captain Ryan Getzlaf after his Ducks beat the Blues, 5-2, on Saturday in St. Louis — a victory that came one day after a 3-2 shootout win in Chicago over the defending champs.
For the Ducks, the two wins were impressive results in back-to-back road games against tough opponents, particularly after managing just three wins in their previous 11 (and getting called out in back-to-back TGIFs on PHT, which let’s face it must’ve been a real wake-up call.)
Tonight, Anaheim hosts an Islanders side that’s winless in nine. The goal for the Ducks will be to avoid a back-home letdown versus what head coach Bruce Boudreau calls a “snakebit” team that’s unlucky to have not won lately.
“You’ve got to be aware there’s a struggling team coming in and we’re off of a road trip,” echoed d-man Mark Fistric, who added it was important for the Ducks to come out strong tonight and keep their foot on the gas.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (84)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)