Dec 9, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
OK, so it’s not the world’s greatest accomplishment to hold down third place in the Metropolitan Division — congratulations, you’re tied with the Rangers in points, and you have a game in hand — but it’s a playoff position nonetheless.
With Friday’s 5-3 come-from-behind win over San Jose, the Carolina Hurricanes have won five of their last seven, and now they get to start a four-game road trip feeling good about themselves.
“That has got to be a big confidence builder for our guys tonight — to beat a team like that who we have a lot of respect for tonight,” said coach Kirk Muller after the Sharks game, which saw rookie Elias Lindholm score once while adding two assists.
Carolina’s road trip starts tonight with a tough one, in Vancouver against a streaking Canucks side that won its fourth straight last night. Games in Edmonton, Calgary and Phoenix will follow.
The ‘Canes haven’t made the playoffs since 2009, and they’ve only made them once since winning the Stanley Cup in 2006. Certainly if their division continues to struggle as a whole, it bodes well for their chances of getting back to the postseason in 2014.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 21
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)