Dec 9, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
OK, so it’s not the world’s greatest accomplishment to hold down third place in the Metropolitan Division — congratulations, you’re tied with the Rangers in points, and you have a game in hand — but it’s a playoff position nonetheless.
With Friday’s 5-3 come-from-behind win over San Jose, the Carolina Hurricanes have won five of their last seven, and now they get to start a four-game road trip feeling good about themselves.
“That has got to be a big confidence builder for our guys tonight — to beat a team like that who we have a lot of respect for tonight,” said coach Kirk Muller after the Sharks game, which saw rookie Elias Lindholm score once while adding two assists.
Carolina’s road trip starts tonight with a tough one, in Vancouver against a streaking Canucks side that won its fourth straight last night. Games in Edmonton, Calgary and Phoenix will follow.
The ‘Canes haven’t made the playoffs since 2009, and they’ve only made them once since winning the Stanley Cup in 2006. Certainly if their division continues to struggle as a whole, it bodes well for their chances of getting back to the postseason in 2014.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)