Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Saturday was Martin Jones‘ night. The 23-year-old Los Angeles Kings goaltender certainly wasn’t overworked as the New York Islanders managed just 16 shots on goal, but he was solid when he had to be to earn his first shutout in just his second NHL game.
At the same time, Ben Scrivens was the first goalie out for the pregame warmups, leading to the assumption that he would get the start.
After the game, Kings coach Darryl Sutter was repeatedly asked about the change and while he confirmed that Scrivens was initially penciled in to start, he didn’t feel the need to explain why Jones ended up playing between the pipes.
Eventually, Sutter grew tired of that line of questioning, arguing that they should ask him about the guy that just got his first shutout instead. To simplify matters, Sutter decided to be the one to take the initiative.
“‘So, Darryl, how do you think Martin Jones played today?’” he asked himself before going on to answer his own question. “‘I thought he was really solid. Made some big saves for us. Jeez. Really held us in there in the first period. I thought he was outstanding.’”
If you want to see his postgame interview, you can view it below:
For his part, Jones didn’t want to get ahead of himself after posting a 0.97 GAA and .955 save percentage in two NHL games.
“It’s been a good start, but I’m not here to win two games,” Jones told LA Kings Insider. “There’s a lot of work ahead, and I don’t want to stop now. I want to keep on building off this and keep continuing to get better.”
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)