Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Saturday was Martin Jones‘ night. The 23-year-old Los Angeles Kings goaltender certainly wasn’t overworked as the New York Islanders managed just 16 shots on goal, but he was solid when he had to be to earn his first shutout in just his second NHL game.
At the same time, Ben Scrivens was the first goalie out for the pregame warmups, leading to the assumption that he would get the start.
After the game, Kings coach Darryl Sutter was repeatedly asked about the change and while he confirmed that Scrivens was initially penciled in to start, he didn’t feel the need to explain why Jones ended up playing between the pipes.
Eventually, Sutter grew tired of that line of questioning, arguing that they should ask him about the guy that just got his first shutout instead. To simplify matters, Sutter decided to be the one to take the initiative.
“‘So, Darryl, how do you think Martin Jones played today?’” he asked himself before going on to answer his own question. “‘I thought he was really solid. Made some big saves for us. Jeez. Really held us in there in the first period. I thought he was outstanding.’”
If you want to see his postgame interview, you can view it below:
For his part, Jones didn’t want to get ahead of himself after posting a 0.97 GAA and .955 save percentage in two NHL games.
“It’s been a good start, but I’m not here to win two games,” Jones told LA Kings Insider. “There’s a lot of work ahead, and I don’t want to stop now. I want to keep on building off this and keep continuing to get better.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)