Sharks coach vents about power play, officiating after loss

Dec 8, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT

Todd McLellan AP

San Jose head coach Todd McLellan wasn’t happy that the Sharks lost to the Minnesota Wild 3-1 on Sunday, and wasn’t just because his team was defeated despite a 38-13 shot advantage. He fumed to CSNBayArea.com about the Sharks power play and about questionable officiating after the game.

“The power play was awful. I don’t know if I’ve been in six years as disappointed with the power play as I am right now,” McLellan said. “And, it’s not even me. I’m sure they’re disappointed in the power play, too. They’re an elite group that has come out and been a threat for a long time.

“I’d like to see two or three guys take charge of it, and let’s get going because they go out and it’s really killing the momentum that we gain.”

He was also hoping for an explanation on the 1-0 goal. Zach Parise scored on a play in which Antti Niemi believed he was interfered with, which left the Sharks sour, as San Jose saw a potential overtime-winner waved off under similar circumstances on Nov. 10.

Here’s the goal:

“I’ll be looking for an explanation, because before we lose our third point now – and, again, I don’t know the outcome of the game would have went,” McLellan said. “Who knows what happens if that’s disallowed? But, if we’re comparing the two, I don’t understand it, so before we get to the third one, I’d really like that rule clarified.”

Fair or not, the Sharks must move on … and turn that power play around.

1. gmenfan1982 - Dec 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM

He’s right. That should be no goal. Goalie not given opportunity to make save.

2. stakex - Dec 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I’ll say this much… I’ve seen goals waved off for less than that.

• boydston82 - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM

You mean this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRATvnx98Kk

3. sjsharks66 - Dec 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM

The problem with the goal was that Parise deliberately hooked the stick from Brauns hand. Braun was unable to make a play thus resulting in Parise’s goal.
    Should have been disallowed.
    If it was then the Sharks would have tied it up when they pulled Niemi.

That being said, I was very unimpressed with the lack of energy the Sharks had tonight. Not going to cry over spilt milk but when an official makes a bad call like that, why are they not fined? Doing that will crack down on poor officiating. On the other hand, it could cause them to make more calls that are not justified either. In hopes to not catch a fine.

Hopefully the Sharks can pull it together for the next game. Washing my jersey tonight in hopes to rid of the bad mojo!

• mp1131211 - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:34 AM

I think you’re problem with this goal is that Minnesota scored it.

• theheez - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM

There is so much that is wrong with your post, its not hard to tell you’ve only watched hockey since last season.

1. The problem with the goal had nothing to do with Parise hooking Braun, lifting the opponents stick is allowed. it was all about Pominville crashing into Niemi who is inside his area. Ito me it doesn’t look like Pominville was pushed.

2. Teams do not automatically tie games when they pull goalies. Sorry, it actually only works about 6% of the time.

3. Lack of energy? The Sharks thoroughly outplayed the Wild but Harding played exceptionally well.

4. Punishing officials only leads to the officials striking and the NHL left with replacements. Making a call with all the activity going on is tough, they make mistakes and we only know about it because we have the luxury of super slo-mo replay. Errors are part of the game, accept them.

5. Wash your jersey as much as you want, it will still smell of fish.

• skr213 - Dec 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM

as to your #2, he was talking about the goal that the Sharks scored when they pulled Niemi. For someone who starts and ends a post with such a belittling tone, you may want to make sure you get your own post correct.

4. faulkingallstar - Dec 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Officiating has been an absolute joke this year. To many times the refs blatantly ignore obvious calls and then call things that aren’t even close to being penalties.

5. endusersolutions2013 - Dec 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Was it due to Niemi being so far out?

6. ronniethec - Dec 8, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Sharks and their fans are the crybabies of the league. They should save their tears for when the Kings take them out in the playoffs.

• blomfeld - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Agreed friend, as the Sharks have far bigger concerns lying ahead, with us Kings being the ‘biggest’ of them all ! Nonetheless, let us never forget that Thornton & crew are ‘good’ people. And so when the time comes, let it be that we Kings do ‘that’ which needs to be done, free from either malice or vanity … God willing.

take it easy Shark friends …

• sjsblitz - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I keep reporting this guys lame video comments and getting nothing in return {{>_<}}

• blomfeld - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM

It’s called the ‘silent’ majority you idiot !

Blomfeld: Tiger One to Tiger Two, over ?

Tiger Two: Tiger Two here …

Blomfeld: Tiger Two … blow that piece of junk off the bridge !

Tiger Two: consider it done comrade ! :)

• micasa81 - Dec 9, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Blomfeld is allowed to post as many crazy-as-bat-s**t music and war videos as he wants, and everyone else is free to down-thumb them as much as they want. That’s how she goes ’round here.

• sjsharks66 - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Calm down Mr. I started watching hockey June 2012.

You probably don’t remember the Sharks comeback in 2011 against the Kings. You also don’t remember how LA was almost a guaranteed win every game for the Sharks.

Blomfeld can even agree. The Sharks-Kings series was close. So this whole macho Kings attitude coming from a few LA fans needs to calm down. ;)

PS. Cup’s Kings-1 Sharks-0 ( should take care of any half-ass comeback)

• blomfeld - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM

“should take care of any half-ass comeback” …

friend, I’ve been watching NHL hockey since 1967 and Bobby Orr was my first ever ‘favorite’ player … we then moved to Vancouver and I became a Canucks fan like every else here in 1971 … however I ‘discovered’ the LA Kings in 1974 and have been a fan of them ever since, though there have admittedly been gaps during that time when my level of interest was simply not there (ie: early 80’s and late 90’s) …

• skr213 - Dec 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Wow. Blomfeld, you’re not a 16 year old kid?? My respect for your posts just went down even more.

• drone501 - Dec 9, 2013 at 7:04 AM

but the wild goalie was soft. we could have scored 5 more goals. our fault.

• sjsharks66 - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM

This is late but I was not referring to you Blomfeld. I was talking about Ronniethec. I know you are very hockey knowledgeable and just have fun on PHT Blomfeld. :)

• blomfeld - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Comrade Sjsharksfan66 – thank you friend … as you know, I respect the Sharks greatly and it must never be forgotten that we Kings and you Sharkies are not ‘natural’ enemies, unlike for example when we Kings play the Canandiens or you Sharks play the Canuckles … the bottom line friend is that LA, SJ and Anaheim (ie: California) represent today’s center of NHL power, no two ways about it ! :)

7. krishavy3 - Dec 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I agree whole-heartedly that the officiating is awful this year. However, I was at the game, and it seemed pretty clear to me that the officials let some calls go in favor of the Sharks to make up for their bone-headedness. San Jose couldn’t capitalize. End of story.

8. muckleflugga - Dec 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM

sjsharks66

no, no, don’t wash your jersey, the bull likes her just the way she is. for mojo issues, try this instead…

“Say—what is dead cats good for, Huck?”

“Good for? Cure sharks with.”

“No! Is that so? I know something that’s better…spunk-water…You got to go all by yourself, to the middle of the woods, where you know there’s a spunk-water stump, and just as it’s midnight you…jam your hand in and say:

Barleycorn, barleycorn, injun-meal shorts,

Spunk-water, spunk-water, swaller these sharks!

“If you speak the charm’s busted.”

• mikeignoffo - Dec 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM

What the hell are you even talking about????

• blomfeld - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I hear ya man, as even I Blomfeld can’t ‘dig’ what Fluggas’ going on about ?

Regardless friends, Flugga and his Sharks are about to now lose ‘that’ which they’ve held dear for so long … and you gotta love that eh ? :)

GO KINGS GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• supercoop8 - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM

“Lady-bug, lady-bug, fly away home, your house is on fire, your children’s alone,” and she took wing and went off to see about it

9. mikeignoffo - Dec 8, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Heck yah that was interference, no if’s, and’s, or buts about it!! Sharks got screwed. Shark’s had no energy that whole first period though and it was putting a damper in there game for sure!!

10. kingsfan93 - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM

It is what it is.

If the Sharks taking dives in the game not good enough alrwady, then you gotta here the coach be a baby about the game.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches