Dec 8, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
San Jose head coach Todd McLellan wasn’t happy that the Sharks lost to the Minnesota Wild 3-1 on Sunday, and wasn’t just because his team was defeated despite a 38-13 shot advantage. He fumed to CSNBayArea.com about the Sharks power play and about questionable officiating after the game.
“The power play was awful. I don’t know if I’ve been in six years as disappointed with the power play as I am right now,” McLellan said. “And, it’s not even me. I’m sure they’re disappointed in the power play, too. They’re an elite group that has come out and been a threat for a long time.
“I’d like to see two or three guys take charge of it, and let’s get going because they go out and it’s really killing the momentum that we gain.”
He was also hoping for an explanation on the 1-0 goal. Zach Parise scored on a play in which Antti Niemi believed he was interfered with, which left the Sharks sour, as San Jose saw a potential overtime-winner waved off under similar circumstances on Nov. 10.
Here’s the goal:
“I’ll be looking for an explanation, because before we lose our third point now – and, again, I don’t know the outcome of the game would have went,” McLellan said. “Who knows what happens if that’s disallowed? But, if we’re comparing the two, I don’t understand it, so before we get to the third one, I’d really like that rule clarified.”
Fair or not, the Sharks must move on … and turn that power play around.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 5
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 10
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 8
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)