Dec 8, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
The New York Rangers held a players-only meeting after the Washington Capitals beat them 4-1 on Sunday, discussing a lack of desperation and urgency, ESPN’s Katie Strang reports.
“It’s getting old,” Richards said.
The Rangers fell to Philipp Grubauer, who stopped 30 out of 31 shots to earn his first career NHL win. The Rangers are now on a two-game losing streak and have been middling since mid-November. They’re 6-7-1 in their last 14 games since Nov. 12.
Head coach Alain Vigneault didn’t seem too moved about the meeting after the game – saying that the Rangers’ compete level fits that of a .500 team – as New York Newsday’s Steve Zipay reports.
“You can talk all you want behind closed doors,” Vigneault said. “It’s the 200 by 85 that games are decided.”
For Ryan McDonagh, failing in front of fans at Madison Square Garden cut a little deeper.
“The crowd had nothing to stand for tonight,” McDonagh said. “And that’s something we’re ashamed of.”
The Rangers play their next seven games at home, so they have a lot to gain or lose in turning things around after that meeting.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 4
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)