Rangers hold players-only meeting after 4-1 loss to Caps

Dec 8, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT

sadrangersgetty Getty Images

The New York Rangers held a players-only meeting after the Washington Capitals beat them 4-1 on Sunday, discussing a lack of desperation and urgency, ESPN’s Katie Strang reports.

Brad Richards told Strang that the team needs to start “getting uncomfortable.”

“It’s getting old,” Richards said.

The Rangers fell to Philipp Grubauer, who stopped 30 out of 31 shots to earn his first career NHL win. The Rangers are now on a two-game losing streak and have been middling since mid-November. They’re 6-7-1 in their last 14 games since Nov. 12.

Head coach Alain Vigneault didn’t seem too moved about the meeting after the game – saying that the Rangers’ compete level fits that of a .500 team – as New York Newsday’s Steve Zipay reports.

“You can talk all you want behind closed doors,” Vigneault said. “It’s the 200 by 85 that games are decided.”

For Ryan McDonagh, failing in front of fans at Madison Square Garden cut a little deeper.

“The crowd had nothing to stand for tonight,” McDonagh said. “And that’s something we’re ashamed of.”

The Rangers play their next seven games at home, so they have a lot to gain or lose in turning things around after that meeting.

1. nothanksimdriving123 - Dec 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM

And FWIW, the one NYR goal appeared to have been a gift from the stripes as it looked like a high-stick deflection, though the replay was inconclusive, which is why the original call stood.

2. blomfeld - Dec 9, 2013 at 1:59 AM

BETTER OFF WITH A MANNEQUIN BEHIND YOUR BENCH !

The Rangers would be better off with some wax figurine from Madame Tussaud’s replete with ‘inspirational’ tapes playing behind their bench, than this smarmy, conceited, self-important, parasite ! Vigneault is a complete ‘fraud’ and it sadly appears that the Blue Shirts are now finally coming to appreciate that fact, much to their chagrin …

• nicknyhc - Dec 9, 2013 at 5:00 AM

OK guy, we get it.

You’re a Kings fan who doesn’t like the Canucks. Stop trolling on every Rangers story because you don’t like AV. Its just annoying.

“The land of fruits and nuts” line about California is spot on.

• ibieiniid - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM

thumbs up, but I believe he’s from Vancouver. seems they have their own nuts.

• President Charles Logan - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

dumbfeld is not a real kings fan he’s a wagon hopper that is from western canada…

• babykaby - Dec 11, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Dumbfeld blomfeld is a little girl that wears pink dresses. He knows absolutely nothing about hockey and spends hours looking at videos he can post on this site. Feel sorry for him, he has no life.

3. crazemastercraze - Dec 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I don’t think the coach has anything to do with it, they players on the ice together just plain suck. Overrated and overpaid. And that all comes down to a GM riding his former oilers glory all the way to the bank. I can’t understand why anyone would spend the kind of money it takes to see this team at MSG? It’s beyond comprehension

4. bmoreredfury311 - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM

wheres that one rangers fan, fivetonothing? He’s normal the first one on PHT, after a rangers vs caps game. I guess he only talks crap when they win…

• ibieiniid - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM

duuuuuuude I just came to say the same thing. that’s some regular Rangers fan’s alternate handle for Capitals posts I think, so he probably doesn’t even bother when they lose. he’s one of the most obnoxious guys on here.

5. gaborik104life - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM

This game was absolute crap. In my decade long run of watching every game possible never have I wanted to turn off a game so much as last night. Just terrible play all around…

• ibieiniid - Dec 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

you’ve never turned off a Rangers game before? lol

• xdj511 - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I never turn off games either, but last night I did, mercifully, fall asleep.

6. 1010gary - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Playing too soft. no one is afraid of us.
    not hitting anyone, no toughness.no one to stick up for top players
    missing Prust type. Might as well bring up Haley even though
    he takes bad penalties.

7. cruuuzcontrol - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Now I see why Torts rode these guys so hard… Left to their own devices, they just glide and float along for 60 minutes. The 4th line is just awful. Boyle, Pyatt, Moore, Pouliot… I’m tired of these clowns who don’t even play with intensity. A fine collection of stiffs.

8. xdj511 - Dec 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Like I said above I mercifully fell asleep shortly after Grabovski’s penalty shot goal, so I can’t comment on the whole game, but what I have seen the last two nights has been pretty depressing.

I was hoping that it was the contract situation that was causing Henrik to play, well, mortal, but except for Tuesday’s game he has continued to give up soft goals on a pace of about one a game.

There is a lot of talk about their lack of heart and competitiveness, they are not skating hard and there are entire games where they barely throw a body check. I’m starting to wonder about Callahan. He hasn’t been himself this season when he’s been in the lineup, and I wonder if he’s playing hurt.

I hope this was a wake up call. We really needed to sweep this weekend, and walking away with (barely) one out of four points isn’t acceptable for a team that thinks it belongs among the elite teams in the league. Hopefully the vets stood up and lit a fire under themselves and the rest of the underachievers. I guess time will tell.

9. nicknyhc - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Rangers need to make a trade or two.

They can ditch a defenseman for a big hard hitting forward. I think it has to be Del Zotto.

Pyatt is probaly another player they need to get rid of. They need to toughen up the 4th line. I like Boyle and think they need to hang onto him for faceoffs and penalty killing. Pouliot has been awful but he’s only been with the team a short time, they should give him more time. Dorsett needs to stay in the lineup every night. He’s the only tough guy they have.

Brandon Mashinter was traded for a tough guy from Chicago. I’m hoping we see him soon.

I liked seeing Nash get physical with Ovechkin last night. He needs to play with more of an edge and throw some hits.

I think if the Rangers get tough and start hitting they’ll score more as a result.

• xdj511 - Dec 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

If you are advocating giving Pouliot more time, you obviously haven’t suffered through 30 games of him doing nothing but taking bad penalties and making bad passes. He had two games somewhere in the middle of it where he put up points and looked like he might become a productive and useful forward, and then fell right back into his bad habits.

Dorsett is injured, which only enforces my hunch that you aren’t really paying attention.

Also, MDZ isn’t going anywhere if Staal has another concussion.

The Mashinter trade brought us back a former high draft pick who never made it to the NHL. He would probably be an Avery-type agitator but he is a project at best and we might be better offf if the Rangers are never desperate enough to give the guy a chance.

I agree that the Rangers have to get tougher… but they have the players to do this… Callahan… Kreider… Boyle… all need to start forechecking harder.

10. stepanup - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Man I wish the days when the Rangers were never, ever outworked over 60 minutes. Those days seem to be long gone though.

11. President Charles Logan - Dec 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Have all the players only team meetings you want to Rangers, it still doesnt change the fact that you cant win alot of games with a bunch of spare parts for a line up …
    simply put they arent that good

Top 10 NHL Player Searches