Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EDT
New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal is being treated for “neck issues” on Sunday and won’t play against the Washington Capitals tonight. Head coach Alain Vigneault didn’t confirm – but also didn’t deny – the possibility of a concussion, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
Staal, 26, was injured by Reid Boucher of the New Jersey Devils on Saturday. Here’s video of the hit:
Michael Del Zotto slides back into the lineup with Staal on the shelf.
That’s not the only change or injury update for the Rangers, either. Dominic Moore is a healthy scratch because his play has “slipped a little” (according to Vigneault); he’ll be replaced by Benoit Pouliot.
The Rangers received some upbeat injury news to go with the murky/troubling Staal situation. Derek Dorsett‘s MRI for a wrist injury generated promising results; it appears that his issues aren’t serious.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)