Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EDT
New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal is being treated for “neck issues” on Sunday and won’t play against the Washington Capitals tonight. Head coach Alain Vigneault didn’t confirm – but also didn’t deny – the possibility of a concussion, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
Staal, 26, was injured by Reid Boucher of the New Jersey Devils on Saturday. Here’s video of the hit:
Michael Del Zotto slides back into the lineup with Staal on the shelf.
That’s not the only change or injury update for the Rangers, either. Dominic Moore is a healthy scratch because his play has “slipped a little” (according to Vigneault); he’ll be replaced by Benoit Pouliot.
The Rangers received some upbeat injury news to go with the murky/troubling Staal situation. Derek Dorsett‘s MRI for a wrist injury generated promising results; it appears that his issues aren’t serious.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)