Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal is being treated for “neck issues” on Sunday and won’t play against the Washington Capitals tonight. Head coach Alain Vigneault didn’t confirm – but also didn’t deny – the possibility of a concussion, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
Staal, 26, was injured by Reid Boucher of the New Jersey Devils on Saturday. Here’s video of the hit:
Michael Del Zotto slides back into the lineup with Staal on the shelf.
That’s not the only change or injury update for the Rangers, either. Dominic Moore is a healthy scratch because his play has “slipped a little” (according to Vigneault); he’ll be replaced by Benoit Pouliot.
The Rangers received some upbeat injury news to go with the murky/troubling Staal situation. Derek Dorsett‘s MRI for a wrist injury generated promising results; it appears that his issues aren’t serious.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)