Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
It hasn’t been pretty, but after dropping five straight games, the Toronto Maple Leafs have been able to stop the bleeding. They have a four-point lead on the second Wild Card spot after beating Dallas in overtime and Ottawa in a shootout.
All the same, the Maple Leafs, which are 6-7-3 since October, might make a trade in the not too distant future to address their problems up the middle.
It’s gotten to the point where Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis is “getting desperate” in his pursuit of a center, according to a general manager whotalked to the Sun Media’s Bruce Garrioch. That move would be in addition to his previous acquisition of 22-year-old center Peter Holland.
Of course, just because Nonis wants to get something done doesn’t mean anything will necessarily happen yet. Not many teams would consider themselves sellers with roughly two-thirds of the campaign left. Still, we’ve already seen some meaningful trades this season, so nothing can be ruled out.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)