Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Steve Mason agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract for the 2013-14 campaign. At the time, it seemed fair as the Flyers were weighing his impressive stint with their team against years of struggles with Columbus.
Now it looks like a steal. The 25-year-old goaltender has built off of his strong finish in the shortened season to post a 2.26 GAA and .929 save percentage in 21 games in 2013-14. He’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer and is going to get a raise. The question is how big it will be.
“I think Price is a very good comparable,” Mason’s agent, Anton Thun suggested, according to CSN Philly.
Carey Price, 26, is in the second campaign of a six-year, $39 million contract. It seems doubtful that Mason will approach those numbers, both in annual salary wise and perhaps term as well.
After all, Philadelphia will be writing checks to bought out goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov until 2027. Are they really that eager to sign any netminder to a lengthy deal immediately after that experience?
We might not have to wait too long to find out the answer to that question. While the Flyers can’t officially re-sign Mason until Jan. 1 at the earliest, if Mason maintains his current level of play then the Flyers will be motivated to address this issue sooner rather than later.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)