Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Steve Mason agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract for the 2013-14 campaign. At the time, it seemed fair as the Flyers were weighing his impressive stint with their team against years of struggles with Columbus.
Now it looks like a steal. The 25-year-old goaltender has built off of his strong finish in the shortened season to post a 2.26 GAA and .929 save percentage in 21 games in 2013-14. He’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer and is going to get a raise. The question is how big it will be.
“I think Price is a very good comparable,” Mason’s agent, Anton Thun suggested, according to CSN Philly.
Carey Price, 26, is in the second campaign of a six-year, $39 million contract. It seems doubtful that Mason will approach those numbers, both in annual salary wise and perhaps term as well.
After all, Philadelphia will be writing checks to bought out goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov until 2027. Are they really that eager to sign any netminder to a lengthy deal immediately after that experience?
We might not have to wait too long to find out the answer to that question. While the Flyers can’t officially re-sign Mason until Jan. 1 at the earliest, if Mason maintains his current level of play then the Flyers will be motivated to address this issue sooner rather than later.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)