Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Steve Mason agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract for the 2013-14 campaign. At the time, it seemed fair as the Flyers were weighing his impressive stint with their team against years of struggles with Columbus.
Now it looks like a steal. The 25-year-old goaltender has built off of his strong finish in the shortened season to post a 2.26 GAA and .929 save percentage in 21 games in 2013-14. He’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer and is going to get a raise. The question is how big it will be.
“I think Price is a very good comparable,” Mason’s agent, Anton Thun suggested, according to CSN Philly.
Carey Price, 26, is in the second campaign of a six-year, $39 million contract. It seems doubtful that Mason will approach those numbers, both in annual salary wise and perhaps term as well.
After all, Philadelphia will be writing checks to bought out goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov until 2027. Are they really that eager to sign any netminder to a lengthy deal immediately after that experience?
We might not have to wait too long to find out the answer to that question. While the Flyers can’t officially re-sign Mason until Jan. 1 at the earliest, if Mason maintains his current level of play then the Flyers will be motivated to address this issue sooner rather than later.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)