Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Steve Mason agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract for the 2013-14 campaign. At the time, it seemed fair as the Flyers were weighing his impressive stint with their team against years of struggles with Columbus.
Now it looks like a steal. The 25-year-old goaltender has built off of his strong finish in the shortened season to post a 2.26 GAA and .929 save percentage in 21 games in 2013-14. He’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer and is going to get a raise. The question is how big it will be.
“I think Price is a very good comparable,” Mason’s agent, Anton Thun suggested, according to CSN Philly.
Carey Price, 26, is in the second campaign of a six-year, $39 million contract. It seems doubtful that Mason will approach those numbers, both in annual salary wise and perhaps term as well.
After all, Philadelphia will be writing checks to bought out goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov until 2027. Are they really that eager to sign any netminder to a lengthy deal immediately after that experience?
We might not have to wait too long to find out the answer to that question. While the Flyers can’t officially re-sign Mason until Jan. 1 at the earliest, if Mason maintains his current level of play then the Flyers will be motivated to address this issue sooner rather than later.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)