Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Steve Mason agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract for the 2013-14 campaign. At the time, it seemed fair as the Flyers were weighing his impressive stint with their team against years of struggles with Columbus.
Now it looks like a steal. The 25-year-old goaltender has built off of his strong finish in the shortened season to post a 2.26 GAA and .929 save percentage in 21 games in 2013-14. He’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer and is going to get a raise. The question is how big it will be.
“I think Price is a very good comparable,” Mason’s agent, Anton Thun suggested, according to CSN Philly.
Carey Price, 26, is in the second campaign of a six-year, $39 million contract. It seems doubtful that Mason will approach those numbers, both in annual salary wise and perhaps term as well.
After all, Philadelphia will be writing checks to bought out goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov until 2027. Are they really that eager to sign any netminder to a lengthy deal immediately after that experience?
We might not have to wait too long to find out the answer to that question. While the Flyers can’t officially re-sign Mason until Jan. 1 at the earliest, if Mason maintains his current level of play then the Flyers will be motivated to address this issue sooner rather than later.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)