Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs were badly outshot. Again.
And yet they somehow managed to still come away with a victory, as the defeated their provincial rivals, the Ottawa Senators, 4-3 in the shootout on Saturday night.
James van Riemsdyk scored once in regulation, added two assists and then scored again in the shootout to lead the Leafs’ offensive attack. Mason Raymond also scored in the deciding breakaway competition.
The Senators fired 50 shots on James Reimer, who got the start in goal.
In fact, the Leafs combined for 19 shots through the final two periods and overtime, which was the same amount their goalie, Reimer, faced from Ottawa in the opening period.
The Leafs held a two-goal leading going into the third period, coughed it up then won in the shootout.
“When we get a lead, we freeze,” said Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle, as per the Toronto Star. “But we found a way to win and that’s the most important thing. We’ve had some pretty down times here prior to the last two games, so no matter how we get the points, we’re going to take them and move on.”
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 25
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 53
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)