Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs were badly outshot. Again.
And yet they somehow managed to still come away with a victory, as the defeated their provincial rivals, the Ottawa Senators, 4-3 in the shootout on Saturday night.
James van Riemsdyk scored once in regulation, added two assists and then scored again in the shootout to lead the Leafs’ offensive attack. Mason Raymond also scored in the deciding breakaway competition.
The Senators fired 50 shots on James Reimer, who got the start in goal.
In fact, the Leafs combined for 19 shots through the final two periods and overtime, which was the same amount their goalie, Reimer, faced from Ottawa in the opening period.
The Leafs held a two-goal leading going into the third period, coughed it up then won in the shootout.
“When we get a lead, we freeze,” said Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle, as per the Toronto Star. “But we found a way to win and that’s the most important thing. We’ve had some pretty down times here prior to the last two games, so no matter how we get the points, we’re going to take them and move on.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)