Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs were badly outshot. Again.
And yet they somehow managed to still come away with a victory, as the defeated their provincial rivals, the Ottawa Senators, 4-3 in the shootout on Saturday night.
James van Riemsdyk scored once in regulation, added two assists and then scored again in the shootout to lead the Leafs’ offensive attack. Mason Raymond also scored in the deciding breakaway competition.
The Senators fired 50 shots on James Reimer, who got the start in goal.
In fact, the Leafs combined for 19 shots through the final two periods and overtime, which was the same amount their goalie, Reimer, faced from Ottawa in the opening period.
The Leafs held a two-goal leading going into the third period, coughed it up then won in the shootout.
“When we get a lead, we freeze,” said Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle, as per the Toronto Star. “But we found a way to win and that’s the most important thing. We’ve had some pretty down times here prior to the last two games, so no matter how we get the points, we’re going to take them and move on.”
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)