Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs were badly outshot. Again.
And yet they somehow managed to still come away with a victory, as the defeated their provincial rivals, the Ottawa Senators, 4-3 in the shootout on Saturday night.
James van Riemsdyk scored once in regulation, added two assists and then scored again in the shootout to lead the Leafs’ offensive attack. Mason Raymond also scored in the deciding breakaway competition.
The Senators fired 50 shots on James Reimer, who got the start in goal.
In fact, the Leafs combined for 19 shots through the final two periods and overtime, which was the same amount their goalie, Reimer, faced from Ottawa in the opening period.
The Leafs held a two-goal leading going into the third period, coughed it up then won in the shootout.
“When we get a lead, we freeze,” said Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle, as per the Toronto Star. “But we found a way to win and that’s the most important thing. We’ve had some pretty down times here prior to the last two games, so no matter how we get the points, we’re going to take them and move on.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 26
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 57
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)