Dec 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
The 33-year-old center hasn’t played since Nov. 30 because of his issue, which was originally believed to be merely back spasms.
He’s had his fair share of bad luck with injuries the past few seasons, but the calendar year of 2013 has really presented headaches. Here’s a quick tally, which includes his final campaign with the Tampa Bay Lightning:
- He missed nine games last season with a lower-body injury.
- Lecavalier missed three more with lower-body issues in October.
- While he came back sooner than expected, he suffered a facial injury that sidelined him for one game stemming from a fight.
When he’s been able to suit up for the Flyers, he’s been effective; he has nine goals and 14 points in 22 games played. Unfortunately for Philly, it looks like he won’t be able to play until 2014 rolls around.
It doesn’t sound like the Flyers are going to make a trade or free agent acquisition in his absence, as Panaccio reports that Holmgren expects the team’s other 20 players to “step up.”
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)