Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
After spending the first 1,219 games of his NHL career with the Flames, Jarome Iginla would wish Calgary nothing but the best on almost any night. Tuesday will be the exception as they prepare to host his Boston Bruins.
It will be Iginla’s first game in the Scotiabank Saddledome since Calgary shipped him to Pittsburgh last season in exchange for prospects Kenny Agostino, Ben Hanowski and a first round pick that became Morgan Klimchuk.
There is a belief that the Flames, who had been stuck in the mud for years at that point, waited too long to trade Iginla and ultimately paid the price for their inaction by getting a smaller return. From his perspective though, the timing was right.
“I look back and I honestly try not to live and wonder ‘what if I did this or that?’ I don’t think to myself, ‘wow, I waited too long and things are great now.’ The last couple years were probably tough but it was the right time from my point of view,” Iginla told the Calgary Sun.
Before the shortened 2013 campaign began, Iginla had been told that the team might trade him if they fell out of the playoff race. At times, Iginla thought that they might do well enough to warrant keeping him, but that wasn’t the case and he wasn’t terribly interested in signing a contract extension for the sake of participating in a rebuild.
“I also feel like I left everything on the table,” Iginla said. “I wanted to win in Calgary and we were so close and I wanted to give it every shot I had. It was a goal and a dream to win here and I did my best.
“We just weren’t able to get it done.”
Nor are the Flames likely to win it all – or even make the playoffs – this season. Iginla though is in a race against time to win the Stanley Cup. His Boston Bruins have a shot this year, but before that happens, he has a reunion of sorts to attend.
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Veteran tough guy hopeful to return by the playoffs.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST
Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Just two wins in their last eight.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST
“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”
Mar 4, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
Anaheim hosts Montreal at Honda.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Both were viewed as candidates to be moved at the deadline, but neither got shipped out.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“We are very pleased and hope our fans will be, as well.”
Mar 4, 2015, 10:31 AM EST
He’s on his way up from AHL San Antonio.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
It took him just 68 decisions.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:21 AM EST
The captain is still proud to be a Maple Leaf.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)