Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT
After spending the first 1,219 games of his NHL career with the Flames, Jarome Iginla would wish Calgary nothing but the best on almost any night. Tuesday will be the exception as they prepare to host his Boston Bruins.
It will be Iginla’s first game in the Scotiabank Saddledome since Calgary shipped him to Pittsburgh last season in exchange for prospects Kenny Agostino, Ben Hanowski and a first round pick that became Morgan Klimchuk.
There is a belief that the Flames, who had been stuck in the mud for years at that point, waited too long to trade Iginla and ultimately paid the price for their inaction by getting a smaller return. From his perspective though, the timing was right.
“I look back and I honestly try not to live and wonder ‘what if I did this or that?’ I don’t think to myself, ‘wow, I waited too long and things are great now.’ The last couple years were probably tough but it was the right time from my point of view,” Iginla told the Calgary Sun.
Before the shortened 2013 campaign began, Iginla had been told that the team might trade him if they fell out of the playoff race. At times, Iginla thought that they might do well enough to warrant keeping him, but that wasn’t the case and he wasn’t terribly interested in signing a contract extension for the sake of participating in a rebuild.
“I also feel like I left everything on the table,” Iginla said. “I wanted to win in Calgary and we were so close and I wanted to give it every shot I had. It was a goal and a dream to win here and I did my best.
“We just weren’t able to get it done.”
Nor are the Flames likely to win it all – or even make the playoffs – this season. Iginla though is in a race against time to win the Stanley Cup. His Boston Bruins have a shot this year, but before that happens, he has a reunion of sorts to attend.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Charles Wang remains in charge until then.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Worth a reported $16 million.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Not clear yet if charges will be filed.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
More tough luck.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Just gotta work on the stuff in front of him now.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 22, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
He’ll be in for the Kings when they host Buffalo tomorrow.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Having already sat out last night’s win over Philly.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
No word yet on a makeup date.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Anders Lee on his way up?
Oct 22, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
He’ll join Norfolk on a PTO.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Senators still scheduled to host the Maple Leafs tonight.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Flyers-Blackhawks game.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“I think if the authorities act properly and do a complete investigation, they will have to find that charges are not warranted.”
Oct 22, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
With second division outfit EV Landshut.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
It would have been an incredible goal.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Canucks coach Willie Desjardins fought against the idea that Dallas got lucky last night.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Maybe this is what Philadelphia needs.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT
Yes, there was a goaltender in net.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 0
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 15
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 21
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 14
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (55)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)