Iginla in reflective mood ahead of return to Calgary

Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT

JaromeIginla Getty Images

After spending the first 1,219 games of his NHL career with the Flames, Jarome Iginla would wish Calgary nothing but the best on almost any night. Tuesday will be the exception as they prepare to host his Boston Bruins.

It will be Iginla’s first game in the Scotiabank Saddledome since Calgary shipped him to Pittsburgh last season in exchange for prospects Kenny Agostino, Ben Hanowski and a first round pick that became Morgan Klimchuk.

There is a belief that the Flames, who had been stuck in the mud for years at that point, waited too long to trade Iginla and ultimately paid the price for their inaction by getting a smaller return. From his perspective though, the timing was right.

“I look back and I honestly try not to live and wonder ‘what if I did this or that?’ I don’t think to myself, ‘wow, I waited too long and things are great now.’ The last couple years were probably tough but it was the right time from my point of view,” Iginla told the Calgary Sun.

Before the shortened 2013 campaign began, Iginla had been told that the team might trade him if they fell out of the playoff race. At times, Iginla thought that they might do well enough to warrant keeping him, but that wasn’t the case and he wasn’t terribly interested in signing a contract extension for the sake of participating in a rebuild.

“I also feel like I left everything on the table,” Iginla said. “I wanted to win in Calgary and we were so close and I wanted to give it every shot I had. It was a goal and a dream to win here and I did my best.

“We just weren’t able to get it done.”

Nor are the Flames likely to win it all – or even make the playoffs – this season. Iginla though is in a race against time to win the Stanley Cup. His Boston Bruins have a shot this year, but before that happens, he has a reunion of sorts to attend.

Latest Posts
  1. Red Wings focus on staying out of penalty box

Apr 20, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT

Zdeno Chara, Justin Abdelkader Zdeno Chara, Justin Abdelkader

The Bruins are one of the most effective teams in the league with the man advantage.

2. Tampa Bay will stick with goalie Lindback

Apr 20, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT

Anders Lindback AP

He was pulled late in Friday’s game.

3. WATCH LIVE: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Rangers (Game 2)

Apr 20, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT

Derek Stepan AP

The contest will start at 12:00 p.m. ET.

4. MacKinnon is tying/breaking records with hot start

Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

Nathan MacKinnon Getty Images

He has seven points in his first two playoff games.

5. Pittsburgh columnist: Penguins’ narcissism, arrogance led to Game 2 defeat

Apr 20, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT

Marc-Andre Fleury, Matt Calvert AP

With a two-goal lead, Pittsburgh had four forwards on during a power play, which proved to be the turning point of this game.

6. Wild focus on handling Avs’ speed

Apr 20, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Two Getty Images

“You can’t defend on your heels,” Ryan Suter said.

7. MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead

Apr 20, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Two Getty Images

Colorado overcomes some strange officiating late in Game 2.

8. Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was

Apr 19, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Two Getty Images

Colorado’s rookie sensation is inspiring some bold words.

9. Red-hot Avs chase Bryzgalov in second period

Apr 19, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game One Getty Images

Colorado might want to keep Gabriel Landeskog and Nathan MacKinnon together.

10. Blue Jackets’ Tyutin appears to suffer injury

Apr 19, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v Florida Panthers Getty Images

The defenseman last played in the first period.

11. Video: Nathan MacKinnon’s first career playoff goal is gorgeous

Apr 19, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Two Getty Images

He’s clearly not wilting in the postseason spotlight.

12. Hitchcock’s Backes update: He’s not great

Apr 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

St Louis Blues v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

The Blues coach mostly pleads the fifth.

13. Seabrook: ‘I was just trying to make a play on Backes’

Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

His play may wind up costing him a suspension.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D