Dec 8, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Semyon Varlamov gets shot at redemption
Varlamov has exceeded expectations this season, but he allowed eight goals on 28 shots against the Edmonton Oilers on Thursday. Jean-Sebastien Giguere played between the pipes Friday night and helped the Avalanche shake off that ugly defeat. Now it’s Varlamov’s turn to do the same.
He’ll play against the Vancouver Canucks and while nothing has been confirmed, Roberto Luongo will probably get his third straight start.
Antti Niemi back between the pipes
Niemi got a game off after the Pittsburgh Penguins chased him out of the net on Thursday. The Sharks netminder stopped just 23 of 27 shots through 40 minutes in what was ultimately a 5-1 loss for San Jose.
He got off to a hot start this season, but has a 2.87 GAA and .909 save percentage since the start of November. He’ll try to bounce back against Minnesota.
The Wild will counter with Josh Harding. He’s been one of the league’s most pleasant surprises this season with a 1.52 GAA and .935 save percentage in 23 games.
Bruins at Maple Leafs: Jonathan Bernier is expected to start after James Reimer turned aside 47 of 50 shots in regulation time in a 4-3 shootout victory. It remains to be seen if the Bruins will start Tuukka Rask on back-to-back nights.
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvrith makes Sabres debut 0
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 17
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 33
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)