Dec 8, 2013, 1:59 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Semyon Varlamov gets shot at redemption
Varlamov has exceeded expectations this season, but he allowed eight goals on 28 shots against the Edmonton Oilers on Thursday. Jean-Sebastien Giguere played between the pipes Friday night and helped the Avalanche shake off that ugly defeat. Now it’s Varlamov’s turn to do the same.
He’ll play against the Vancouver Canucks and while nothing has been confirmed, Roberto Luongo will probably get his third straight start.
Antti Niemi back between the pipes
Niemi got a game off after the Pittsburgh Penguins chased him out of the net on Thursday. The Sharks netminder stopped just 23 of 27 shots through 40 minutes in what was ultimately a 5-1 loss for San Jose.
He got off to a hot start this season, but has a 2.87 GAA and .909 save percentage since the start of November. He’ll try to bounce back against Minnesota.
The Wild will counter with Josh Harding. He’s been one of the league’s most pleasant surprises this season with a 1.52 GAA and .935 save percentage in 23 games.
Bruins at Maple Leafs: Jonathan Bernier is expected to start after James Reimer turned aside 47 of 50 shots in regulation time in a 4-3 shootout victory. It remains to be seen if the Bruins will start Tuukka Rask on back-to-back nights.
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 4
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 29
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 75
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)