Dec 8, 2013, 1:59 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Semyon Varlamov gets shot at redemption
Varlamov has exceeded expectations this season, but he allowed eight goals on 28 shots against the Edmonton Oilers on Thursday. Jean-Sebastien Giguere played between the pipes Friday night and helped the Avalanche shake off that ugly defeat. Now it’s Varlamov’s turn to do the same.
He’ll play against the Vancouver Canucks and while nothing has been confirmed, Roberto Luongo will probably get his third straight start.
Antti Niemi back between the pipes
Niemi got a game off after the Pittsburgh Penguins chased him out of the net on Thursday. The Sharks netminder stopped just 23 of 27 shots through 40 minutes in what was ultimately a 5-1 loss for San Jose.
He got off to a hot start this season, but has a 2.87 GAA and .909 save percentage since the start of November. He’ll try to bounce back against Minnesota.
The Wild will counter with Josh Harding. He’s been one of the league’s most pleasant surprises this season with a 1.52 GAA and .935 save percentage in 23 games.
Bruins at Maple Leafs: Jonathan Bernier is expected to start after James Reimer turned aside 47 of 50 shots in regulation time in a 4-3 shootout victory. It remains to be seen if the Bruins will start Tuukka Rask on back-to-back nights.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)