Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates elected to start Philipp Grubauer against the New York Rangers on Sunday, the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera reports.
It seemed like Braden Holtby would receive back-to-back starts (he helped the Capitals beat the Nashville Predators Saturday), but it appears that Oates decided to keep the team’s No. 1 goalie fresh instead.
Grubauer, 22, has only seen 20 minutes of relief action (nine out of nine saves on Dec. 3) so far this season. He’s spent most of the last two seasons putting up decent numbers with the AHL’s Hershey Bears. This will be the German’s fourth game of NHL action overall.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)