Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates elected to start Philipp Grubauer against the New York Rangers on Sunday, the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera reports.
It seemed like Braden Holtby would receive back-to-back starts (he helped the Capitals beat the Nashville Predators Saturday), but it appears that Oates decided to keep the team’s No. 1 goalie fresh instead.
Grubauer, 22, has only seen 20 minutes of relief action (nine out of nine saves on Dec. 3) so far this season. He’s spent most of the last two seasons putting up decent numbers with the AHL’s Hershey Bears. This will be the German’s fourth game of NHL action overall.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 12
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 14
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14