Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates elected to start Philipp Grubauer against the New York Rangers on Sunday, the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera reports.
It seemed like Braden Holtby would receive back-to-back starts (he helped the Capitals beat the Nashville Predators Saturday), but it appears that Oates decided to keep the team’s No. 1 goalie fresh instead.
Grubauer, 22, has only seen 20 minutes of relief action (nine out of nine saves on Dec. 3) so far this season. He’s spent most of the last two seasons putting up decent numbers with the AHL’s Hershey Bears. This will be the German’s fourth game of NHL action overall.
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 22
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 12
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 7
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 15
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 56
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 63
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1