Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
Washington Capitals head coach Adam Oates elected to start Philipp Grubauer against the New York Rangers on Sunday, the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera reports.
It seemed like Braden Holtby would receive back-to-back starts (he helped the Capitals beat the Nashville Predators Saturday), but it appears that Oates decided to keep the team’s No. 1 goalie fresh instead.
Grubauer, 22, has only seen 20 minutes of relief action (nine out of nine saves on Dec. 3) so far this season. He’s spent most of the last two seasons putting up decent numbers with the AHL’s Hershey Bears. This will be the German’s fourth game of NHL action overall.
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 3
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25