Dec 8, 2013, 12:24 PM EDT
Boston beat the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday, but it’s hard to portray a game like that as a positive for the Bruins.
Loui Eriksson suffered his second concussion of the season, Shawn Thornton faces a potentially lengthy suspension, and on top of that Chris Kelly is now out with a broken ankle, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Kelly sustained the injury when Pittsburgh’s Pascal Dupuis slashed him. Dupuis wasn’t penalized for his actions.
With the Bruins scheduled to play against Toronto tonight, they have called up Matt Fraser and Ryan Spooner, reports the Providence Journal’s Mark Divver.
Fraser, 23, was part of the Eriksson-Tyler Seguin trade between Boston and Dallas over the summer. He has 16 goals and 21 points in 23 AHL games. Spooner, 21, has also been a leader for the Providence Bruins with 24 points in 21 contests.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)