Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
After Saturday’s mess of a game between Boston and Pittsburgh, Bruins head coach Claude Julien relayed a simple – but potentially inflammatory – message: Shawn Thornton admitted he was wrong, while Penguins players didn’t.
“Thorny did cross the line, and some others did too. You have to man up to those things, and I think he did,” Julien said. “He’s being truthful. That’s more than we can say about players that pretend that it wasn’t done on purpose.”
While Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma said that he believes Brooks Orpik‘s hit on Loui Eriksson was legal, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Josh Yohe reports that Julien disagreed with that assessment.
Again, Julien isn’t saying that the Bruins are faultless; it appears that he’s mainly claiming that the Penguins players aren’t holding themselves accountable. (Surely this won’t generate some venom from coaches, players and fans …)
Julien acknowledged that Brendan Shanahan and the NHL face a few difficult disciplinary decisions, as Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reports.
“He’s got some tough decisions to make,” Julien said.
In case you’re wondering, the Bruins and Penguins won’t face each other again in 2013-14 … unless they meet in the playoffs.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)