Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur hasn’t ruled out the possibility of playing beyond this season, but if he does retire, it will mark the end of one of the greatest careers in NHL history. So what will the Devils and the teams he visits do if he announces his decision to hang up his skates before the season is over?
Very little, Brodeur hopes. As great as the farewell tour for New York Yankees pitcher Mariano Rivera was, he doesn’t want something like that for himself.
“One thing I hated was disturbing everything for my teammates when I was chasing records and stuff,” Brodeur told the Star-Ledger.
“Hockey is a lot different than other sports, like baseball, which tends to do that. They’ve done it in hockey, but especially for a goalie concentration is so important.”
Brodeur added that his concentration and preparation have only become more critical as he gets older. The 41-year-old doesn’t want festivities honoring him to get in the way of his or the Devils’ performance.
“That’s not me,” he said.
In the meantime, he’ll keep playing and while he might be well past his prime, he’s still contributing with a 7-7-2 record, 2.25 GAA, and .906 save percentage in 16 contests this season.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)