Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur hasn’t ruled out the possibility of playing beyond this season, but if he does retire, it will mark the end of one of the greatest careers in NHL history. So what will the Devils and the teams he visits do if he announces his decision to hang up his skates before the season is over?
Very little, Brodeur hopes. As great as the farewell tour for New York Yankees pitcher Mariano Rivera was, he doesn’t want something like that for himself.
“One thing I hated was disturbing everything for my teammates when I was chasing records and stuff,” Brodeur told the Star-Ledger.
“Hockey is a lot different than other sports, like baseball, which tends to do that. They’ve done it in hockey, but especially for a goalie concentration is so important.”
Brodeur added that his concentration and preparation have only become more critical as he gets older. The 41-year-old doesn’t want festivities honoring him to get in the way of his or the Devils’ performance.
“That’s not me,” he said.
In the meantime, he’ll keep playing and while he might be well past his prime, he’s still contributing with a 7-7-2 record, 2.25 GAA, and .906 save percentage in 16 contests this season.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)