Dec 7, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss‘ first season with the Detroit Red Wings isn’t quite going how he or the team had hoped. On top of missing six games with a groin injury, he’s had just two goals and two assists in 24 games.
Weiss faces his former team, the Florida Panthers, tonight and tells Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel it’s a tricky balance between team and personal success.
“You guys know why I came here, to win games and be on a good team,” Weiss said. “Other things will come in due time. I’ve had a blast so far.
“It’s awesome to be at the top of the standings and nice for a change for sure. Personally, it’s been a struggle. … You try not to read the newspapers and keep all that stuff out of my head. It’s been tough.”
When Weiss left the Panthers, he was the franchise’s all-time leader in assists and games played. This season in Detroit has seen him get bounced up and down the lineup in an effort to see who he works best with.
So far, the Red Wings investment in him hasn’t paid off but he’s got four more years after this to get it together. At least that’s what they’re hoping will happen.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)