Dec 7, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss‘ first season with the Detroit Red Wings isn’t quite going how he or the team had hoped. On top of missing six games with a groin injury, he’s had just two goals and two assists in 24 games.
Weiss faces his former team, the Florida Panthers, tonight and tells Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel it’s a tricky balance between team and personal success.
“You guys know why I came here, to win games and be on a good team,” Weiss said. “Other things will come in due time. I’ve had a blast so far.
“It’s awesome to be at the top of the standings and nice for a change for sure. Personally, it’s been a struggle. … You try not to read the newspapers and keep all that stuff out of my head. It’s been tough.”
When Weiss left the Panthers, he was the franchise’s all-time leader in assists and games played. This season in Detroit has seen him get bounced up and down the lineup in an effort to see who he works best with.
So far, the Red Wings investment in him hasn’t paid off but he’s got four more years after this to get it together. At least that’s what they’re hoping will happen.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 16
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 14
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 60
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (60)