Dec 7, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss‘ first season with the Detroit Red Wings isn’t quite going how he or the team had hoped. On top of missing six games with a groin injury, he’s had just two goals and two assists in 24 games.
Weiss faces his former team, the Florida Panthers, tonight and tells Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel it’s a tricky balance between team and personal success.
“You guys know why I came here, to win games and be on a good team,” Weiss said. “Other things will come in due time. I’ve had a blast so far.
“It’s awesome to be at the top of the standings and nice for a change for sure. Personally, it’s been a struggle. … You try not to read the newspapers and keep all that stuff out of my head. It’s been tough.”
When Weiss left the Panthers, he was the franchise’s all-time leader in assists and games played. This season in Detroit has seen him get bounced up and down the lineup in an effort to see who he works best with.
So far, the Red Wings investment in him hasn’t paid off but he’s got four more years after this to get it together. At least that’s what they’re hoping will happen.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)