Dec 7, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss‘ first season with the Detroit Red Wings isn’t quite going how he or the team had hoped. On top of missing six games with a groin injury, he’s had just two goals and two assists in 24 games.
Weiss faces his former team, the Florida Panthers, tonight and tells Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel it’s a tricky balance between team and personal success.
“You guys know why I came here, to win games and be on a good team,” Weiss said. “Other things will come in due time. I’ve had a blast so far.
“It’s awesome to be at the top of the standings and nice for a change for sure. Personally, it’s been a struggle. … You try not to read the newspapers and keep all that stuff out of my head. It’s been tough.”
When Weiss left the Panthers, he was the franchise’s all-time leader in assists and games played. This season in Detroit has seen him get bounced up and down the lineup in an effort to see who he works best with.
So far, the Red Wings investment in him hasn’t paid off but he’s got four more years after this to get it together. At least that’s what they’re hoping will happen.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)