Dec 7, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss‘ first season with the Detroit Red Wings isn’t quite going how he or the team had hoped. On top of missing six games with a groin injury, he’s had just two goals and two assists in 24 games.
Weiss faces his former team, the Florida Panthers, tonight and tells Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel it’s a tricky balance between team and personal success.
“You guys know why I came here, to win games and be on a good team,” Weiss said. “Other things will come in due time. I’ve had a blast so far.
“It’s awesome to be at the top of the standings and nice for a change for sure. Personally, it’s been a struggle. … You try not to read the newspapers and keep all that stuff out of my head. It’s been tough.”
When Weiss left the Panthers, he was the franchise’s all-time leader in assists and games played. This season in Detroit has seen him get bounced up and down the lineup in an effort to see who he works best with.
So far, the Red Wings investment in him hasn’t paid off but he’s got four more years after this to get it together. At least that’s what they’re hoping will happen.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)