Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
The incident occurs about five seconds into the video below. Marchand is tripped up, and while he’s on the ice, Neal skates by and looks to intentionally clip Marchand with his knee.
Neal was assessed only a minor penalty for kneeing. He came out of the box and scored seven seconds after his penalty expired to give the Penguins a 2-1 lead in the first period.
Immediately after the whistle, a scrum ensued in the Pittsburgh zone. It was then that Bruins’ enforcer Shawn Thornton took Brooks Orpik to the ice and threw multiple punches, resulting in the Penguins’ defenseman being taken off the ice on a strether.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 5
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)