Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
The incident occurs about five seconds into the video below. Marchand is tripped up, and while he’s on the ice, Neal skates by and looks to intentionally clip Marchand with his knee.
Neal was assessed only a minor penalty for kneeing. He came out of the box and scored seven seconds after his penalty expired to give the Penguins a 2-1 lead in the first period.
Immediately after the whistle, a scrum ensued in the Pittsburgh zone. It was then that Bruins’ enforcer Shawn Thornton took Brooks Orpik to the ice and threw multiple punches, resulting in the Penguins’ defenseman being taken off the ice on a strether.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 13
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 7
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)