Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Boston Bruins forward Loui Eriksson suffered a concussion after he took an open-ice hit from Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman just 11 seconds into Saturday’s game, according to Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe.
The hit occurred as the puck was coming around the sideboards. Orpik pinched off the point and hit Eriksson just as he had turned his body back up ice. Eriksson left the game and did not return.
Orpik was not assessed a penalty on the play.
Thornton, who had previously challenged Orpik to a fight, was assessed a match penalty. He also has a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety – a fact he confirmed after the game.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 9
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 14
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)