Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
Boston Bruins forward Loui Eriksson suffered a concussion after he took an open-ice hit from Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman just 11 seconds into Saturday’s game, according to Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe.
The hit occurred as the puck was coming around the sideboards. Orpik pinched off the point and hit Eriksson just as he had turned his body back up ice. Eriksson left the game and did not return.
Orpik was not assessed a penalty on the play.
Thornton, who had previously challenged Orpik to a fight, was assessed a match penalty. He also has a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety – a fact he confirmed after the game.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)