Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
Boston Bruins forward Loui Eriksson suffered a concussion after he took an open-ice hit from Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman just 11 seconds into Saturday’s game, according to Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe.
The hit occurred as the puck was coming around the sideboards. Orpik pinched off the point and hit Eriksson just as he had turned his body back up ice. Eriksson left the game and did not return.
Orpik was not assessed a penalty on the play.
Thornton, who had previously challenged Orpik to a fight, was assessed a match penalty. He also has a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety – a fact he confirmed after the game.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)