Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
Boston Bruins forward Loui Eriksson suffered a concussion after he took an open-ice hit from Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman just 11 seconds into Saturday’s game, according to Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe.
The hit occurred as the puck was coming around the sideboards. Orpik pinched off the point and hit Eriksson just as he had turned his body back up ice. Eriksson left the game and did not return.
Orpik was not assessed a penalty on the play.
Thornton, who had previously challenged Orpik to a fight, was assessed a match penalty. He also has a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety – a fact he confirmed after the game.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 77
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32