Dec 7, 2013, 8:51 PM EDT
Boston Bruins enforcer Shawn Thornton could be facing a lengthy suspension after an ugly incident that resulted in Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik being taken off the ice on a stretcher Saturday.
Thornton took down Orpik, then delivered punches to the blue liner while he was on the ice. Members of the Penguins’ training staff were immediately summoned onto the ice, as was the stretcher. Thornton received a match penalty.
Thornton, 36, has been in the NHL since the 2002-03 season, breaking into the league with the Chicago Blackhawks. His role over the years has been simple: Use his size to be a physical presence and fight when the opportunity arises.
He recently spoke out in favor of fighting, while a debate about whether that element should be taken out of the game rages on.
“I don’t know the numbers so I probably shouldn’t [say] but I think a lot more concussions are happening from head hits than fighting, but any time anyone gets punched in the face and gets hurt, people jump all over it,” he recently told Katie Strang of ESPN.
“I think there’s an agenda. I’m not sure where it’s coming from. I won’t say it’s changing the tide, but I think there’s definitely more of an agenda nowadays.
“People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable, I suppose, in some instances. I’ve been a firm believer my whole life that what goes around comes around.
“If you’re one of those guys that suckers someone when they’re down or you go after somebody that doesn’t deserve it or isn’t the same category as you, that will come back and bite you at some point, too.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)