Dec 7, 2013, 12:15 AM EDT
After being humiliated by the Edmonton Oilers 8-2 last night – a game in which Semyon Varlamov absorbed all of those goals – Patrick Roy and the Colorado Avalanche badly wanted a victory. They got it, as Jean-Sebastien Giguere guided them to a 3-2 win against the Calgary Flames on Friday.
“It was an important win for us,” Roy said.
Roy invited references to his infamous final game with the Montreal Canadiens by leaving Varlamov in for that full Thursday onslaught, yet keeping Giguere fresh paid off. The 36-year-old stopped 26 out of 28 shots to improve his 2013-14 record to 7-0-0. He also tied Ken Dryden for 44th all-time in goalie wins with 258.
Colorado vaults back into the mix as one of the West’s leading teams, although that group is bursting at anywhere between five and seven, depending upon how you view the Los Angeles Kings and Minnesota Wild. While Colorado trails top team Chicago by five standings points, Colorado has played four fewer games than Chicago. Like St. Louis, they could close that gap with strong play next week (and so on).
Either way, winning on Friday must be a relief for Roy, as his Avalanche avoided losing back-to-back games against the two worst teams in the West.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)