Dec 7, 2013, 12:15 AM EDT
After being humiliated by the Edmonton Oilers 8-2 last night – a game in which Semyon Varlamov absorbed all of those goals – Patrick Roy and the Colorado Avalanche badly wanted a victory. They got it, as Jean-Sebastien Giguere guided them to a 3-2 win against the Calgary Flames on Friday.
“It was an important win for us,” Roy said.
Roy invited references to his infamous final game with the Montreal Canadiens by leaving Varlamov in for that full Thursday onslaught, yet keeping Giguere fresh paid off. The 36-year-old stopped 26 out of 28 shots to improve his 2013-14 record to 7-0-0. He also tied Ken Dryden for 44th all-time in goalie wins with 258.
Colorado vaults back into the mix as one of the West’s leading teams, although that group is bursting at anywhere between five and seven, depending upon how you view the Los Angeles Kings and Minnesota Wild. While Colorado trails top team Chicago by five standings points, Colorado has played four fewer games than Chicago. Like St. Louis, they could close that gap with strong play next week (and so on).
Either way, winning on Friday must be a relief for Roy, as his Avalanche avoided losing back-to-back games against the two worst teams in the West.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)