Dec 7, 2013, 12:15 AM EST
After being humiliated by the Edmonton Oilers 8-2 last night – a game in which Semyon Varlamov absorbed all of those goals – Patrick Roy and the Colorado Avalanche badly wanted a victory. They got it, as Jean-Sebastien Giguere guided them to a 3-2 win against the Calgary Flames on Friday.
“It was an important win for us,” Roy said.
Roy invited references to his infamous final game with the Montreal Canadiens by leaving Varlamov in for that full Thursday onslaught, yet keeping Giguere fresh paid off. The 36-year-old stopped 26 out of 28 shots to improve his 2013-14 record to 7-0-0. He also tied Ken Dryden for 44th all-time in goalie wins with 258.
Colorado vaults back into the mix as one of the West’s leading teams, although that group is bursting at anywhere between five and seven, depending upon how you view the Los Angeles Kings and Minnesota Wild. While Colorado trails top team Chicago by five standings points, Colorado has played four fewer games than Chicago. Like St. Louis, they could close that gap with strong play next week (and so on).
Either way, winning on Friday must be a relief for Roy, as his Avalanche avoided losing back-to-back games against the two worst teams in the West.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 0
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 11
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 27
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (151)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)