Dec 7, 2013, 12:15 AM EDT
After being humiliated by the Edmonton Oilers 8-2 last night – a game in which Semyon Varlamov absorbed all of those goals – Patrick Roy and the Colorado Avalanche badly wanted a victory. They got it, as Jean-Sebastien Giguere guided them to a 3-2 win against the Calgary Flames on Friday.
“It was an important win for us,” Roy said.
Roy invited references to his infamous final game with the Montreal Canadiens by leaving Varlamov in for that full Thursday onslaught, yet keeping Giguere fresh paid off. The 36-year-old stopped 26 out of 28 shots to improve his 2013-14 record to 7-0-0. He also tied Ken Dryden for 44th all-time in goalie wins with 258.
Colorado vaults back into the mix as one of the West’s leading teams, although that group is bursting at anywhere between five and seven, depending upon how you view the Los Angeles Kings and Minnesota Wild. While Colorado trails top team Chicago by five standings points, Colorado has played four fewer games than Chicago. Like St. Louis, they could close that gap with strong play next week (and so on).
Either way, winning on Friday must be a relief for Roy, as his Avalanche avoided losing back-to-back games against the two worst teams in the West.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)