Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
The New York Rangers are expected to give an update tomorrow on the condition of defenseman Marc Staal.
Staal left the game in the third period and did not return, after a collision with New Jersey Devils forward Reid Boucher just inside the New York zone. Staal exited the game, going straight to the dressing room, slamming his helmet down in the hallway.
“He took a shoulder to the chin and didn’t feel quite right so they are evaluating him now and we’ll have an update tomorrow,” said Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault, according to Blueshirts United.
Staal, 26, has two goals and three points in 29 games with the Rangers this season.
Staal’s concussion history is also an added concern in a situation like this. Each of his last three seasons have been reduced due to injuries, most notably a concussion sustained on a hit from his older brother, Eric Staal in February of 2011, and the post-concussion symptoms that followed.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)