Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
The New York Rangers are expected to give an update tomorrow on the condition of defenseman Marc Staal.
Staal left the game in the third period and did not return, after a collision with New Jersey Devils forward Reid Boucher just inside the New York zone. Staal exited the game, going straight to the dressing room, slamming his helmet down in the hallway.
“He took a shoulder to the chin and didn’t feel quite right so they are evaluating him now and we’ll have an update tomorrow,” said Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault, according to Blueshirts United.
Staal, 26, has two goals and three points in 29 games with the Rangers this season.
Staal’s concussion history is also an added concern in a situation like this. Each of his last three seasons have been reduced due to injuries, most notably a concussion sustained on a hit from his older brother, Eric Staal in February of 2011, and the post-concussion symptoms that followed.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)