Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
The New York Rangers are expected to give an update tomorrow on the condition of defenseman Marc Staal.
Staal left the game in the third period and did not return, after a collision with New Jersey Devils forward Reid Boucher just inside the New York zone. Staal exited the game, going straight to the dressing room, slamming his helmet down in the hallway.
“He took a shoulder to the chin and didn’t feel quite right so they are evaluating him now and we’ll have an update tomorrow,” said Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault, according to Blueshirts United.
Staal, 26, has two goals and three points in 29 games with the Rangers this season.
Staal’s concussion history is also an added concern in a situation like this. Each of his last three seasons have been reduced due to injuries, most notably a concussion sustained on a hit from his older brother, Eric Staal in February of 2011, and the post-concussion symptoms that followed.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)