Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EDT
Neal was assessed a minor penalty for kneeing in the first period of Saturday’s game against the Boston Bruins. The Penguins’ forward was skating up the ice when he clipped Bruins’ forward Brad Marchand with a knee.
Marchand had been tripped to the ice and was on his stomach when it appeared Neal intentionally hit Marchand with his knee.
“He’s already going down and I guess I need to try to avoid him, but I have to look at it (on replay) again,” Neal told Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I need to be more careful and I guess get my knee out of the way, but I’m not trying to hit him in the head or injure him or anything like that.”
Neal scored seven seconds after his penalty expired, giving the Penguins a 2-1 lead at the time. The Bruins came back with goals one minute and 16 seconds apart to record a 3-2 win.
Zdeno Chara scored the winner with 13 seconds remaining in regulation.
Because Neal’s hearing is over the phone and not in person, any suspension he receives can’t exceed five games.
He does have a history of supplemental discipline. He received a one-game ban in the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs. In 2009, as a member of the Dallas Stars, he was handed a two-game suspension for a hit from behind on Derek Dorsett, as per NHL.com.
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs Day at PHT 0
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 19
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 40
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 35
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (40)