Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EDT
Neal was assessed a minor penalty for kneeing in the first period of Saturday’s game against the Boston Bruins. The Penguins’ forward was skating up the ice when he clipped Bruins’ forward Brad Marchand with a knee.
Marchand had been tripped to the ice and was on his stomach when it appeared Neal intentionally hit Marchand with his knee.
“He’s already going down and I guess I need to try to avoid him, but I have to look at it (on replay) again,” Neal told Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I need to be more careful and I guess get my knee out of the way, but I’m not trying to hit him in the head or injure him or anything like that.”
Neal scored seven seconds after his penalty expired, giving the Penguins a 2-1 lead at the time. The Bruins came back with goals one minute and 16 seconds apart to record a 3-2 win.
Zdeno Chara scored the winner with 13 seconds remaining in regulation.
Because Neal’s hearing is over the phone and not in person, any suspension he receives can’t exceed five games.
He does have a history of supplemental discipline. He received a one-game ban in the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs. In 2009, as a member of the Dallas Stars, he was handed a two-game suspension for a hit from behind on Derek Dorsett, as per NHL.com.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)