Dec 7, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Orpik had to be stretchered off the ice after he was taken down to the ice and punched multiple times in the head by Shawn Thornton in the first period of Saturday’s game between the Penguins and the Boston Bruins.
The incident occurred during a scrum at the 11:06 mark of the first period. Thornton was assessed a match penalty.
Updated: Orpik will fly home with the Penguins, according to Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 78
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50