Dec 7, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils and Martin Brodeur have been bitter rivals with the New York Rangers since their incredible seven-game battle in the 1994 Eastern Conference Final. That series ended with the Rangers taking out the Devils on home ice at Madison Square Garden and going on to win the Stanley Cup.
Now, 20 seasons later, Brodeur is getting the start tonight and it could be his final game at the “World’s Most Famous Arena.” With Brodeur on the final year of his contract and talking about possibly retiring at the end of the season, this could be the last time his shadow sees MSG.
Brodeur’s career against the Rangers has seen him face the cross-river rivals 98 times in the regular season and coming away with 48 wins. He only has more wins against the Islanders and Flyers in his career. Having to deal with Henrik Lundqvist on the other side of the ice has likely cut into that a bit over the past nine seasons.
These two teams will face each other two more times after tonight — Yankee Stadium as part of the Stadium Series in January and in March at Prudential Center in Newark. Brodeur would love to send the Rangers faithful home cursing his name rather than chanting it.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)