Dec 7, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils and Martin Brodeur have been bitter rivals with the New York Rangers since their incredible seven-game battle in the 1994 Eastern Conference Final. That series ended with the Rangers taking out the Devils on home ice at Madison Square Garden and going on to win the Stanley Cup.
Now, 20 seasons later, Brodeur is getting the start tonight and it could be his final game at the “World’s Most Famous Arena.” With Brodeur on the final year of his contract and talking about possibly retiring at the end of the season, this could be the last time his shadow sees MSG.
Brodeur’s career against the Rangers has seen him face the cross-river rivals 98 times in the regular season and coming away with 48 wins. He only has more wins against the Islanders and Flyers in his career. Having to deal with Henrik Lundqvist on the other side of the ice has likely cut into that a bit over the past nine seasons.
These two teams will face each other two more times after tonight — Yankee Stadium as part of the Stadium Series in January and in March at Prudential Center in Newark. Brodeur would love to send the Rangers faithful home cursing his name rather than chanting it.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)