Dec 7, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
When the New Jersey Devils lost 3-1 to the Detroit Red Wings on Friday night, they only managed to put up 11 shots on goal in doing so.
More often than not you’d assume coach Peter DeBoer would be upset at his team’s lack of out put. Not so this time according to Fire & Ice’s Tom Gulitti.
“I don’t look at the shot clock and say we didn’t have any offense. We created enough chances to score three goals tonight,” DeBoer said. ”We didn’t cash in on some of our chances and with our group we have to be opportunistic.”
Coaches will tell you having scoring chances is the key and sometimes that doesn’t play out in the shots category. For a 3-1 game, it was a lot closer than that, especially since Detroit’s third goal didn’t come until late and on a highly dubious power play.
Then again, in situations like this maybe it’s just better to listen to what Jaromir Jagr had to say. He’s been around a bit, you know.
Jagr on only 11 shots: “It surprised me too. I thought we had a lot more shots than that. Maybe we were missing the net."—
Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) December 07, 2013
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 6
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 23
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 8
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)