Dec 7, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
When the New Jersey Devils lost 3-1 to the Detroit Red Wings on Friday night, they only managed to put up 11 shots on goal in doing so.
More often than not you’d assume coach Peter DeBoer would be upset at his team’s lack of out put. Not so this time according to Fire & Ice’s Tom Gulitti.
“I don’t look at the shot clock and say we didn’t have any offense. We created enough chances to score three goals tonight,” DeBoer said. “We didn’t cash in on some of our chances and with our group we have to be opportunistic.”
Coaches will tell you having scoring chances is the key and sometimes that doesn’t play out in the shots category. For a 3-1 game, it was a lot closer than that, especially since Detroit’s third goal didn’t come until late and on a highly dubious power play.
Then again, in situations like this maybe it’s just better to listen to what Jaromir Jagr had to say. He’s been around a bit, you know.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 1
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 71
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 40
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (74)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)