Dec 7, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
When the New Jersey Devils lost 3-1 to the Detroit Red Wings on Friday night, they only managed to put up 11 shots on goal in doing so.
More often than not you’d assume coach Peter DeBoer would be upset at his team’s lack of out put. Not so this time according to Fire & Ice’s Tom Gulitti.
“I don’t look at the shot clock and say we didn’t have any offense. We created enough chances to score three goals tonight,” DeBoer said. “We didn’t cash in on some of our chances and with our group we have to be opportunistic.”
Coaches will tell you having scoring chances is the key and sometimes that doesn’t play out in the shots category. For a 3-1 game, it was a lot closer than that, especially since Detroit’s third goal didn’t come until late and on a highly dubious power play.
Then again, in situations like this maybe it’s just better to listen to what Jaromir Jagr had to say. He’s been around a bit, you know.
Jagr on only 11 shots: “It surprised me too. I thought we had a lot more shots than that. Maybe we were missing the net."—
Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) December 07, 2013
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 67
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 51
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (67)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)